Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

Hello from Gregg C Levine I have here an XC3020, and matching configuration storage EEPROM, an XC1736DPC, the were originally purchased for another project. We ended up not doing that project. Now we'd like to use both for something completely different. Are these parts still supported by Xilinix? Has anyone heard differently? We'd also prefer to do the programming under Linux. Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net

Reply to
Gregg C Levine

different.

also

The 3000 series hasn't been supported for years. As for programing it in Linux, Linus was in grade school when the 3000s were current so you aren't going to find any Linux native tools that support them. However you should be able to run the old DOS based XACT tools under wine.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

not

different.

We'd also

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine Now where'd I go about obtaining the older XACT series of tools from? I don't suppose the company still has them....... Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net

Reply to
Gregg C Levine

not

different.

We'd also

I believe Foundation series 1.4, 2.1,...support the 3000 parts, and they were window sw, nice tools but they are also obsolete. :(

Reply to
Marlboro

Hi You have the same problem I have the difference is that my component in XC3042 we have to get XACT 4.12 or 5.0, the foundation series only support the family XC3000A to up,if you get one of these programs please send me and if I get them I will send you It`s a shame what xilinx does to force to purchase of newer components and not putting in her website the old softwares In my case I`m a professor and received a donation of these components to iniciate the study of my students and we don`t have money to buy newer components

Regards

Thales Belchior

Reply to
Thales Belchior

Thales,

Contact the Xilinx University Program to obain a grant of some useful components and software.

We do not want you to teach students using obsolete and antiquated technology, we will supply you with what you need to teach them using current technologies.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

You might be better off selling these parts on the gray market to someone who is still using them (I purchased some recently) and upgrading to the Spartan. The Webpack tools are free and the parts, besides being much better, are cheap.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Seim

Let me say it loud and clear once more: The only meaningful use for FPGAs of the XC3000, 4000 and 5200 vintage is in existing equipment that for some reason cannot be redesigned. Otherwise donate these obsolete parts to the landfill, and use modern Virtex and Spartan parts instead. This applies especially to our dear educators. Just because we have got our grey hair fighting the hardware and software limitations in the olden days, that is no reason to contaminate young minds. FPGAs are an exciting way to learn, try out, and implement all sorts of logic. Just stay away from the musty stuff of the previous century ! Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Is there anyone working on a museum of FPGA history?

While I agree that they don't have any practical value for current designs, they may have historical value.

Also, as Peter says, there may be a small number of people who need the software to keep old systems running.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt