Interface Xilinx KC705 to BeagleBone?

I'm playing with the idea of interfacing a BeagleBone (cheap dual ARM Cortex A8 board) to a Xilinx KC705 Kintex development board. This will give me much more CPU processing power than a microblaze could.

I thought I could probably do it with a passive interface because the Kintex can deal with 3.3 Volt I/O.

I'd probably use a Xilinx 105 debug board on the FMC HPC connector, and hand build an interface board between the debug board and the BeagleBone.

That would leave the LPC connector free for an Avnet HDMI input board (I'm playing around with some video processing / measurement ideas).

I would then develop a Angstrom Linux driver for the TI GPMC interface to the Kintex.

Anybody see any flaws in this plan? Any advice? Anybody done some / all of this already, and prepared to share so that I don't need to re-invent the wheel?

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
pfraser

Did you think about the ZYNC and the ZED board

If availability really starts August, you will have much less hassle to start...

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

I don't know the status of it, but this is listed in the "Cape Board Registry":

If you dig into this, please post the status here.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

It seems the BB has a peripheral mux on all the pins so you can wire the FP= GA to the BB in pretty much any pinout and get to any of the peripherals (I= 'm not sure if there are limitations). But I would suggest that you duplic= ate the pinout of the LCD7 which seems to use a parallel interface and you = might be able to reuse some of the driver code. I'm thinking of doing some= thing similar. You might even be able to multiplex the interface and use i= t for both the FPGA board and the LCD7 display. =20

They are doing a 3.5" display, but I don't know if the specs are available = for that yet. They weren't the last time I looked.=20

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I wasn't familiar with that board. It looks interesting, and the price is right.

The FPGA is way underpowered for the video processing I would want to do, but perhaps I could use this board instead of the BeagleBone, and couple it to the KC705 with an FMC to FMC cable. That would be a lot simpler mechanically than using the BeagleBone.

I had originally intended to use perf board with connectors for the FMC-105-Debug, and headers for the BeagleBone but unfortunately the 105 (which I own) and the similar TED parts (which I don't) have connectors which are not set on 0.1" centers. That means an even worse mechanical kludge.

So, in favor of the ZED board is mechanical neatness, and less work hacking up sections of perf board and gluing them together (though I would need to check that I could present the appropriate signals to the ZED board's LPC connector). Also, it's A9 rather than A8.

In favor of the BeagleBoard is a reasonably mature Angstom distribution, and a full user community. Who knows what distribution will be available for the ZED board initially?

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
pfraser

Unfortunately the LCD7 seems to use the TI chip's dedicated

16-bit LCD interface. It looks like it probably uses mux mode 0, so I suspect the GPMC is still available, but they don't seem to use the GPMC.

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
pfraser

I did this with the older Beagle Board, where the I/O is 1.8 V. I set up a Spartan 3AN FPGA with one bank at 1.8 V to interface to the Beagle, and the other 3 banks at 3.3 V for outside I/O. It is working quite nicely. If you have not dealt with user level to GPIO on the ARM processors, it is a bit complex, as there are multiplexers to swap various I/O devices onto the limited package pins. Then you set up memory mapping pointers to the GPIO registers, and you have to carefully mask off the pins that are in use by other parts of the system.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

But, does it really exist? Looks like a rendered drawing (although it sure fooled ME!) and no update since November, "PCB design almost ready".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There are MANY limitations. Each peripheral device can be mapped to up to 4 package pads, but not "any pinout". So, many peripherals are not available because the pads you need are not wired out, or are being used by something necessary.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ng

Funny, I get more info on the Beagle boards here than I ever have in the Be= agle google group. The guy running the thing just says to read the documen= tation and not many others respond. I have found the BB to be a bit diffic= ult to even find info on other than the chip data sheet. =20

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I have the same question, that was why I highlighted the possible vaporousness of it. If it exists, it could be a nice piece to play with.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Also, a number of the pins on the device are not brought out to the expansion connectors, further limiting the choices. I just went through the exercise of selecting pins for a board I am working on.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

I emailed them, but no reply yet.

Reply to
pfraser

Beagle google group. The guy running the thing just says to read the documentation and not many others respond. I have found the BB to be a bit difficult to even find info on other than the chip data sheet.

I haven't tried the Beagle group yet. I feel a bit guilty starting this thread in an FPGA group, when there isn't much discussion of FPGAs, but at least it isn't the most off-topic thread I've seen.

Maybe if I insert a bit of an FPGA question:

It looks from the manual that I should be able to configure the FMC interface of the KC705 to run at

3.3V (through the use of Vadj), and that the Avnet DVI I/O FMC Module should be fine with that.

Can anybody verify that it should be OK?

Pete

Reply to
pfraser

Hi Pete,

We are just prototyping a similar board to talk to a AD9361.

Are you progressing with the plan to interface through the GPMC, and if so what are your software resources?

We are currently developing drivers with the intention of releasing a vhdl opencore & gpmc device driver but at this stage we are as vapour as everyone else (which is to say we are a reasonable way from being manufacturable).

David

\
Reply to
david.middleton

I got sidetracked, so haven't had much of a chance to look at this yet. I'm a hardware guy, so I'd just be making up the software is I go along. I'd certainly be interested in the stuff that you're doing when I get back to this.

It looks like the BeagleBone Black is a nice choice, but there's contention for a couple of GPMC balls, so the board would need to boot off the SD card (on-board flash disabled in device tree).

Are you using the black, or the white?

Pete

Reply to
pfraser

I just wanted to throw this out there, in case it helps:

I backed one for the BeagleBone, as it intrigues me.

-Jay

Reply to
feverlabs