Impact of voltage variations on timings for an FPGA

Hi,

I have read the article about slack and margins written by Austin Lesea and I am anxious to have more information concerning "any ripple or noise detracts directly from the speed of the part. 200 mV peak-to-peak of noise and ripple on the internal core power supply of a 1.5 volt part results in a significant slowdown". How big is the impact of the ripple on the timings. I believe the converters on the board I have can provide 50mV peak-to-peak of ripple/noise. Will my timing margins degrade ? Any type of information will be welcome.

Thanks,

JF

Reply to
jean-francois hasson

JF,

As long as the voltage never goes below the min (1.425V in this case), noise included, all timing will be met (we guard-band the speeds files and do all testing at hot, and low Vcc).

If, however, the noise takes you below 1.425V, then you degrade the timing.

Additionally, noise adds jitter, which should be characterized (measured) which also reduces the slack.

Aust> Hi,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Hi Jean,

For Altera's FPGAs, the timing produced by Quartus will take into any internal voltage drops. So provided that your external Vdd does not drop below the minimum value spec'ed in the data sheet (for example, 1.425 V for Stratix/GX/Cyclone vs. 1.5V nominal), your timing report will be valid.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

and

of