How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?

I would like to know if there is a development kit and documentation available to digitize the VGA siganls to create the a digital video fram using FPGA.

I see lot of fpga applications that generate VGA output but I am looking for an application that can take VGA input. This may require external A/D converters.

Thanks.

Reply to
Test01

Check here:

scrts

=3Danal...

Thanks for the link. More importantly, is there FPGA development board with this analog chips that I can use for development purposes?

Ideally I am looking for a board that can take in 15 pin VGA connector as input. This iis analog RGB signs get converted into 24 bit digital output and is fed to the FPGA with DDR3 interface.

Reply to
Test01

re

decoders/......

There hardware from bittec/altera at this link that takes in DVI 29 pin connector. It seems to include analog RGB signal inputs also. So in that case DVI connector is superset of VGA connector And this particular board can digitize the VGA video. In other words I should be able to use this board as a reference board. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Test01

re

decoders/......

Hi, there are some Boards available from Xilinx. e.g. the ML506. This board provides the 15pin VGA in and a DVI-I for output purposes (Analog & Digital).

Of course, this board is not cheap.

Have a nice synthesis Eilert

Reply to
backhus

I would strongly avoid the digitizing process if you can. If it is acceptable for you to work with digital (DVI/HDMI or Displayport), I would recommend that. The process of correctly digitizing an analogue video signal is hard to get right because finding the correct sampling frequency and phase is difficult and often a manual process. Some of the problems you will meet (especially at higher VGA resolution) are:

-sampling frequency can not be directly decided without visual trial and failure

-digitizing phase is cable length sensitive

-bad SNR (pixels are not square at analogue level. Transmission lines are more critical than for analogue viewing).

Reply to
Morten Leikvoll