How to connect FPGA to a ASIC Board?

Hello Techies, I would like to use an off the shelf FPGA which I would be develpoing to test an ASIC or other FPGA. My questions is,

  1. How do we connect the Output of FPGAs as Input of the ASIC and vice versa?
  2. The FPGA has to check various protocols like SPI, UART and other things?

I need to know various methods by which this can be done. Any answers on this will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Hariharan K Srinivasan.

Reply to
harisrini

usually a tool called "soldering iron" must be used.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

LOL.

Antti, that's unfair.... In the interests of public safety, you should at least have explained which end of it he should pick up.

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services

Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK snipped-for-privacy@MYCOMPANY.com

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley

Hmm let me think... I think must pick ASIC end first?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

The new Cortex A8 OMAP from TI has an entertainingly solderable package for the DIY enthusiast:

5l5-pin PBGA Package, 0.5mm Ball Pitch (Top), 0.4mm Ball Pitch (Bottom)

Still, at 14x14mm, the package gives you room to work. A good test for a toaster oven....

Reply to
Tim (one of many)

It has balls on both the top and bottom?

Reply to
Eric Smith

The problem with soldering irons is that when they're hot and falling towards the carpet under the table, it's difficult to judge which side one actually grabs when one catches it. "Yes, I got it" is quickly followed by "ahhh, I got it".

Reply to
mk

Jokes aside: You should first find out, how to connect an asic to an asic and how to connect an FPGA to an FPGA. Mabye you can deduce the answer to that question from that.

Maybe you can find an example design that uses more than one chip and see how the connections are created.

Here are some examples of how ASICs can be connected:

  1. Optical
    ?articleID=18311314
  2. AC coupling
  3. + 4. + 5.
3D stacking Free Space Optical Interconnects Radio Coupling

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga

=3DPA2UO...

03_09_fra...

=3D18306693...

Thanks a lot Kolja.

I really appreciate your answers and will check the kinks you have provided.

Regards Hari

Reply to
harisrini