How fast is YOUR ise8.1?

I start to wonder if there is something weird with my design. I use a spartan 3 (4k), vhdl, and I suspect the synthesizer takes too long time and I would like to compare with other users. My design was completely done (all phases) in about 40minutes on a reasonable new pc (P4 2.8GHz) with lot of RAM (2.75GB). The synthesis phase used about 30 of these minutes. I suspect that one of my blocks (cpu interface) could take very long time cause of some insanely long std_locic_vectors(2047:0) used for i/o area where 95% of the bits are optimized away. It's kind of hard to test without doing much work with the design. There is no swapping going on on the HD.

How fast is yours?

Any other experiences what causes synthesis to go slow?

Morten Leikvoll

Doh! I forgot to mention that my fpga is only ~20-30% full.

Reply to
Morten Leikvoll

We are have reports similar to this from some of our customers. You should raise a a case with Xilinx. The more cases that are raised the more likely something will be done.

Service pack 3 is out and supposed to be improving the situation but not totally. So if you don't have it I would recommend you try it and see if it improves.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Hollybush1. The PC104+ Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair