High rate data transfer from off-chip mem to FSL co-proc...

Hi guys, Sorry this subject was discussed in a different way a year ago. However:

I have a Microblaze based system and I need to attach some co-processors to it to implement several applications. The problem is that I can't put all my data on the BRAMs so I have to use off-chip memory in my design. I know that I can have DMA on OPB bus (I think from off-chip mem controller to OPB BRAMs, yes?) however for contention reasons and low communication bandwidth as well as high power consumption I'd really rather not put the co-processors on the OPB bus however on the other hand I don't want my microblaze to be just a memory controller for FSL co-processors. I know that this is not a new problem however from the previous messages I got this impression that it might be possible to use the DMA to transfer data to FSL co-processors. I'd be happy if you could tell me what options I have to have an efficient data transfer mechanism from off-chip memory to FSL co-processors.

Thanks beforehand,

Amir

Reply to
Xesium

Xesium schrieb:

FSL buses are not accessible from any of the memory spaces hence the DMA can not have access to them. FSL busses are only accesible via special commands those only under software control.

You can however have FSL like access to the memory cores, by connecting your circuitry to the XCL ports of mch_ (multichannel) memory cores.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Connect the co-processor directly to the memory controller (mch_* or MPMC2 with XCL pim). However you have to follow the XCL protocol and write your own DMA core.

/Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy