FPGA Selection Question

Hi

I am using a 8-bit ADC with parallel LVDS outputs clocked at 250MHz. want to interface this to a FPGA, then place the samples into a DD memory. Then send the samples from memory via ethernet to a PC. Can yo recommend an FPGA from either Xilinx or Altera to do the job.

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
maxascent

Jon,

Anything newer than Virtex II/Spartan 3 (Xilinx), or Cyclone/Stratix (Altera).

Your choice,

Aust> Hi

Reply to
Austin Lesea

"Austin Lesea" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dtnstk$ snipped-for-privacy@xco-news.xilinx.com...

Austin,

you say 'newer than Spartan-3' - does it mean that Spartan-3 is now really on the non-recommended list of Xilinx devices, or ?

Spartan-3e is not fully covering all the Spartan-3 range so it can not be considered as replacement as there are no real large S3e devices at all.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Antti,

You are correct. What I mean is this new, or newer.

Anything older is probably not capable of doing what they want.

Anything this new, or newer should be capable of doing what they want, and is also available at reasonable prices in a reasonable time.

Thanks,

Aust> "Austin Lesea" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Reply to
Austin Lesea

You should check out the EC family from Lattice. It has built in DDR memory control logic and makes interfacing up to 200Mhz possible with a low cost fabric.

Reply to
Teo

Hi Jon,

Some considerations as I'm working on a similar design. I assume that you will demux the incoming datastream to 125MHz @16bit. This datastream can be fed to the DDR memory (also running at 125MHz - or maybe faster to give you some headroom. Both Spartan3 and Cyclone will have 'problems' (I mean careful design of the DDR interface) at anything faster than 133MHz (or 266Mbps). Virtex2 or Stratix are then an option. However if you care about your budget, you might concider moving to another lowcost FPGA device, namely the EC or ECP of Lattice. Of course if the company's strategy is to use Altera or Xilinx, I would concider V2 or Stratix and not the Spartan/Cyclone.

Best regards,

Luc

Reply to
Luc

Luc

Thanks for your thoughts, and to everyone else for that matter. It i actually a personal project of mine so I am free to use whatever device need. I think I may go with a Xilinx device but at the moment not sur which one. Think I will probably do some simulation in ISE first to se which device is the best for this application.

Jon

Reply to
maxascent