FPGA+Ethernet

Hi all,

I want to add an Ethernet interface to my FPGA board for data transmission. But I'm not sure which scheme I should use.

A) There's a PHY on the FPGA board, but I don't have much knowledge or experience on MAC. The protocol seems complicated and not easy to implement in a short time. Is it possible to develop a small and simple MAC? My idea is packing data to form a standard TCP or UDP packet and using the PHY to send out or receive it. Another reason I don't want using a full MAC is it costs too much resources (~2000 slices). If I use MicroBlaze+OPB MAC, I can't afford the license fee.

B) Using another external Ethernet micro-controller, such as Rabbit microprocessor. I can develop an interface between FPGA and uC for data transmission. But I'm wondering how fast the speed is?

C) Using micro-controller + (MAC+PHY Ethernet single chip). Then porting uClinux or lwip to the uC and hanging FPGA to the address/data bus of the uC.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

JJ

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve, on Opencore there is a free MAC in hdl. so you can try to use it.

The Ethernet protocol is not difficoult, you can found some usefull informations on

Francesco

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Quesito

Look at leon

Uwe Bonnes

Reply to
dexue

At least 10Mbps, desiralbly 100Mbps.

"dexue" ??????: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Steve

As long as you limit yourself to 10BASE-T, it is quite possible to implement the PHY in the FPGA, and for very low logic usage. See an implementation example

Jean Nicolle

I'm using Picoblaze to emulate the MAC (still on early stage, I can't tell whether it works or not). Basically, the MAC interface (MII) is not so hard to understand and the PHY layer helps against the noise from CAT5 cables.

Take a look at

and the PHY's datasheet. The complete details about how should MAC work can be found in IEEE802.3 whitepaper
But I think fpga4fun site's information is enough.

Reply to
kunil

"kunil" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...

hah, look at U-BOOT, there is software bit bang MII management routine already included of course writing from scratch isnt much more complicated

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats