CPU86 (Intel 8086) VHDL now available (thanks to HT-LAB !)

It is always nice to see some one to keep their promises, HT-LAB promised to release the CPU86 RTL sources some time in 2006, but actually they did it already late 2005, they really did !

the download is immediatly available:

please READ THE LICENSE in the download archive, the CPU86 is Aladdin License, not pure GPL!

I have unfortunatly have not yet have had time to recheck the RTL version of the core, the EDIF worked 'out of box', some info about our test setup with it is here

Antti

PS Hans THANKS zillion times and be my :) with you

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti, There is popular saying in China that if you visited the U.S., but have never been in Las Vegas, you would be counted as one who has not visited the U.S. Because Las Vegas is its crown. I have never been in Las Vegas, but no sorry for it.

I would like to say if you want to be a real ASIC/FPGA engineer, you must read CPU86. Because it is the Bible in ASIC. It is the birth place of full CPU industry.

Thank you, Antti, for the excellent gift for new 2006.

Weng

Reply to
wtxwtx

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi Weng,

thanks for the nice words - well those should be addressed to

!

I only wrote some review about the CPU86 anad am hosting some files for download.

Antti PS I have been to Las Vegas.

Reply to
Antti Lukats

On a sunny day (2 Jan 2006 15:04:01 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Is there any reason I should be interested in a segmented processor? And I have been in Vegas, tried a Dutch quarter in one of the slot machines, all alarms went of. Weird place. LOL ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi Antti, One month ago I sent a post asking for why Intel 386 uses at least 2 clocks for any instructions. Now I may have a chance to learn it from its internal structure.

Even now the latest Intel chip reaches 4GHz, and numerous changes and inventions, but its basic principles are still there.

I have read PC AT BIOS, DOS code, Keyboard code, Unix source code, C++ source files. All of them contributes to my deep experiences. CPU86 is not an exception.

"You are taller after you stand on giants' shoulder." Who says this?

Thank you again, Antti, for the excellent gift for the new 2006.

Weng

Reply to
wtxwtx

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi Weng,

I have tried todo x86 IP-Core myself, but I had a totally different approuch the core I had was able to execute most instruction sequences up to 15 bytes long within 1 clock regardless of byte align by using special wide BRAM cache block for instruction storage, what I did is also available

I did not finish my core, the most of testing I ever did was to read SystemACE and display some data from it on TFT display on ML300 :)

my code isnt much useful, but maybe that wide BRAM cache idea is

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Hi Weng,

What have you been smoking over the New-Year :-)

Thanks for your kind words but this is totally unjustified. The core is like any free core on the web, "hacked" together during virtual free time and in my opinion not particular special. But I do appreciate your comments, thanks!

Regards, Hans

PS Thanks Antti for your time and effort on this.

Reply to
Hans

Isaac Newton said something like "If I can see further than other people it is because I am standing on giants' shoulders."

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Hi Leon, I think you're right, but apparently Newton wasn't the first to say it. Check out :-

One should remember that the quote from Newton was written in a letter to Robert Hooke. Newton and Hooke didn't see eye to eye. Hooke was of short stature! Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

[Off Topic] There are a few variations of that quote. The one I like best, and the most appropriate for several companies I have worked for is:

"If I can not see further is because I am standing in the footprint of giants"

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, ] [ return address is invalid. ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Yes, there are many tools available for it. Even the DOS versions beat many current embedded development environments. Why should I shell out 6k$ for some embedded C compiler when I can use turbopascal ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

On a sunny day (Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:10:53 +0100) it happened Rene Tschaggelar wrote in :

I though, just before dinner I will read c.a.f as i will not have to give one of those very complicated replies.. (just did in some other group), and have the pizza in peace ;-) Sure, you want to use turbo Pascal on a x86 in FPGA sure. I never continue to be amazed at what people do. I followed one of the links Antti gave, and ended up with Linux on an ipod... Looked up what processor that was... never heard of it :-) And I can imagine if somebody made a Linux based board with an AMD 64 HDL. But Pascal, just for the record, I thought it was dead? (as ADA ;-)? As for the 6K .. gcc outputs for many processors..... 'embedded C compiler? never seen one that was good... Write asm or use a normal C compiler with asm includes. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I never use debugger either in C, just print statements. Even more so I do not use ICE or debugger in asm in embedded, just a scope and assembler. This comes from learning to write in machine code (00101010) programming in EPROM and if it did not work erase for 20 minutes or so and try again... It is as simple as editing text files with cat and cut. Hope you see the humor of this. Pizza is waiting

Reply to
Jan Panteltje