Control asynchronous SRAM like synchronous SRAM

Hello,

I've an Virtex II (later it'll be a Spartan 3) witch is connected to external asynchronous SRAM. Now I would like to access it in the same way as a synchronous SRAM (like a BRAM for example). I think reading should work in the same way as with an synchronous SRAM (set address and /oe and read data at the next clock) as long the SRAM is fast enough. But I've no idea how to implement a write access in an efficient way. I could set address, data and /wr and create some logic that clears the /wr signal at the falling edge of the clocksignal. But so I could only use half the speed of the SRAM because the /wr signal would only high for half the clock period. Please let me know if there is any better way to implement this.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dreschmann

"Michael Dreschmann" wrote

Search for discussions of this in the past (fpga-faq.com). Also, here's how I did this long ago -- too clever by half, I'm afraid:

Jan Gray

Reply to
Jan Gray

Ok, Thnx

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dreschmann

Michael,

Another thread on the fpga-cpu group discussed creating such a gated write strobe by using the DDR output registers found in S3 & V2:

I also posted a first pass at a memory test using this technique for the Xilinx S3 starter kit here:

Brian

Reply to
Brian Davis