Choosing a scope

Hello, I am trying to choose a new oscilloscope, but also keeping my eye on logic analyzers. I am mostly working with video stream over FPGA, so I need a scope for this purpose. I've narrowed my criteria to >350MHz BW and at least

16ch log. analyzer. Agilent offers new MSOX3*** series and also great older series as MSO6*** or MSO7***. They also have some additional modules for Altera/Xilinx FPGAs to analyze internal FPGA data. I've taken a look @ Tek scopes MSO3***/MSO4***/MSO5**** phosphor series with 350-500MHz BW, 2.5 or 5GSPS and 16ch analyzers and also some Yokogawa ones... All of these seems so similiar, that it is hard to choose which one to buy. I've worked with Hameg 350MHz scope, which is able to sample 2GSPS and is completely shit (analog and digital - both are bad). So my questions would be: 1) Which brand do You use and are You satisfied with it? Maybe You have to offer which scope would be better? 2) Do You use such additional modules like Agilent offers for FPGAs? 3) Maybe I should better take a look @ logic analyzer instead of scope?

Thank You.

Sincerely, Tomas D.

Reply to
scrts

Tomas, I use Agilent 7000B and 3000X primarily for electronic design/troubleshooting primarily because they have fast waveform update rates, even when using the logic channels and decoding serial busses, etc.

I have little experience with video, unfortunately.

My least favorite scope that I acquired recently is the Tek MSO4000. It is painfully slow to acquire when using the full memory, or when logic channels are turned on. Agilent doesn't have this problem.

I am very interested in trying a Yokogawa next time I'm in the market.

I also have a LeCroy, but it has the worst waveform update rate. I wouldn't think of using it for troubleshooting. Where it shines is built-in data analysis. In this aspect it simply steamrolls over the others.

Agilent: waveform update rate for glitch/anomaly finding--superb!

LeCroy: superior built-in data analysis!

Tek: I haven't much use for them anymore

Yokogawa: on my hot list to evaluate next time.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Dear Tomas, Please buy a simulator instead. LTspice does your analog stuff for free. HTH, Symon.

Reply to
Symon

Hello, thanks for Your opinion. I haven't taken a look @ LeCroy, I'll check what do they offer, but I suppose it has the best serial/parallel data analysis tools available on the market? I am not talking about UART/SPI/I2C, which are available on every scope, but do they support more complex protocols like PCI-e, USB, MII/GMII/RGMII, etc on default configuration scopes?

Reply to
scrts

Hello, I have to work with FPGAs mostly, but using ModelSim + SignalTap very often. Now when I've faced problems with DDR interfaces (DDR memory and RGMII bus), which SignalTap can't show, so I am considering buying a scope. Thought, this would be the best place to ask, since most of people here work with FPGAs and I am a bit off the market now, using an old Agilent scope, which isn't capable of showing me any more, than 50MHz square signals.

Reply to
scrts