chipscope_opb_iba woes in XPS EDK

Has anyone out there had success instantiating chipscope cores in XPS? I have a V4FX design that builds with no problem. Then I instantiated chipscope_opb_iba and chipscope_icon. Now when I build I get the following error:

ERROR:NgdBuild:455 - logical net 'net_gnd0' has multiple driver(s): pin G on block XST_GND with type GND pin O on block chipscope_opb_iba_0/chipscope_opb_iba_0/i_cs_coregen_chipscope_ opb_iba_0/cs_coregen_chipscope_opb_iba_0/i_no_d/u_ila/u_dout with type LUT3 WARNING:NgdBuild:452 - logical net 'chipscope_icon_0/control0 has not driver

I am new to xps as well as chipscope, so it is probably a newbie error. I couldn't find anything in the answers database or usenet archive.

revs: ise: 8.1.03i xps: 8.1.02i cs: 8.1.03i

Someone in another thread mentioned "wiring up" the chipscope_icon core. How does one do that? All I could figure out how to do was go to system assembly bus interface view and connect chipscope_opb_iba to the OPB.

thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cunningham

If you've connected everything properly, the MHS snippet would look something like this:

BEGIN chipscope_opb_iba PARAMETER INSTANCE = chipscope_opb_iba_0 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.01.a PARAMETER C_NUM_DATA_SAMPLES = 1024 BUS_INTERFACE MON_OPB = mb_opb PORT chipscope_icon_control = chipscope_opb_iba_0_icon_control PORT OPB_Clk = sys_clk_s END

BEGIN chipscope_icon PARAMETER INSTANCE = chipscope_icon_0 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.01.a PARAMETER C_NUM_CONTROL_PORTS = 1 PORT control0 = chipscope_opb_iba_0_icon_control END

/Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy

Thanks, Siva. I made those changes, and now it builds. Generally speaking, does the user edit the MHS file directly to wire up their system? I've looked at the Platform Specification Format Reference Manual but I'm not clear about what I have to do myself vs. what XPS does automatically. For instance, when I import a peripheral core I made, XPS creates the MPD file. Then I instantiate it with XPS and it puts my peripheral in the MHS file, but the non-bus ports are not shown. Then I guess I should go in and manually edit the MHS peripheral to wire up the external ports. Is that the general idea?

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cunningham

Hi Jeff -

The answer is that it is upto you. Some people prefer using the GUI, some prefer hand editing the MHS. That said, we are making constant improvements to simplify these sorts of things from the GUI itself. For instance, the upcoming version of EDK (8.2) makes adding Chipscope extremely easy. All you have to do is say you want Chipscope ila/iba and it is instantiated correctly in the MHS.

As far as custom peripherals go, if I remember correctly, the GUI only "instantiates" the core. You'd have to go to the ports view and manually make the required ports visible and then connect them appropriately. There are steps being taken to make this easier, but unfortunately it is tedious as of now.

-Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy