JTAG3-parallel cable on SPARTAN-3 digilent Starter kit

Hi all, I have been trying to make the JTAG3-parallel cable with SPI work with spartan-3 board on red-hat linux(both from digilent)

The Jtag3 seems to detect the fpga and flash in chain but it does not identify it. Have any of you run into this problem??

Also I am sure the s/w and the board works as I can program the same FPGA with same PC settings (using iMPACT) with the older JTAG-parallel cable from xilinx that supports 2.8V.

please help!!

Thanks a bunch, gokul

gokulaka