can I convert DPRAM to SPRAM?

Hi,

Is there any way of implementing DPRAM from single port RAM's?(may be by connecting two SPRAM's)

Thanks

Reply to
vlsi_learner

Maybe.

Do you have extra clock cycles available to do multiple reads and writes in one memory and make it "look" like a mult-port memory?

Is you SPRAM truly only one address? There are "pseudo" dual-port memories and "true" dual port memories. A true dual port can be made from 2 pseudo dual ports.

So. What is the structure of your SPRAM? What DPRAM structure do you want? What is your operating frequency versus maximum memory frequency? Are you targeting a specific device?

Reply to
John_H

Hi John,

My SPRAM will have > vlsi_learner wrote:

Reply to
vlsifresher

And I'll repeat the other questions:

What is your operating frequency versus maximum memory frequency? If you have a 50 MHz read/write clock and your memory can give you 300 MHz performance, you can use a faster clock and time multiplex your writes and reads. Are you targeting a specific device? If you don't know the device capabilities but have a specific FPGA or ASIC in mind, perhaps you could get specific help from those who know your target well.

If this is just a homework problem - no specific device, no specific frequency - be up front about it and you're more likely to get good help.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

My writes take place at 60 Mhz & reads at 35 Mhz. The maxm memory freq is 120 Mhz. I require it for an ASIC design

Thanks

Reply to
vlsifresher

Doesn't the ASIC library have dual-port RAMs? As I said, if you have a target ASIC in mind, perhaps those that have used that ASIC can help. You can probably use a dual-port library element directly.

If a single port truly is all you have available, run the memory at a higher frequency and perform the reads and writes as time-muliplexed operations. The asynchronous write/read time domains makes the coordination a pain in the neck but it's doable. If you need a read valid shortly after a write, you may need additional logic to allow that turnaround to occur quickly.

It's not pretty but it's doable with just single port SRAMs. First, look for native pseudo dual port memories from the ASIC vendor. Only if that fails, use a fast clock preferably at 3x the read clock where you can have the read transaction occur as if it's real time and use posted writes from that asynchronous time domain.

vlsifresher wrote:

Reply to
John_H