ambiguous number of BLOCK RAM in SPARTAN3

When i synthesize my design in a SPARTAN3 XCS400 FPGA the synthesis report says that there are 8 blockRAMs available in Spartan3 FPGA . But after place and route and everything it says there are 16 blockRAMs available. So which one is actually correct. Does it also mean like if we used 9 blockRAMs then we are still under the limit of BLOCK RAMS or have we exceeded the design resources as the synthesis tool says.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
design

The data sheet says there are 16 BlockRAMs in the XC3S400. Go for 16!

Reply to
John_H