altera max 7128s blanking

hello,

I have max 7128s with blocked ISP. The ISP port is set off.

How to erase eeprom without using special Altera APU programmer?

How to construct simple programmer only for erase?

Is it possilbe to reprogram this device via JTAG after any modification?

Thanks DarJan Poznan University of Technology

Reply to
djanisz

I am not entirely certain what you mean by "blocked ISP. The ISP port is set off."

The Max7128 can be programmed (modified) through the JTAG port. You do not need to use Altera's programming tool, though I always have for this purpose. One person I know made up their own JTAG programmer and used that. You do not even need to use their programming software as long as the tool you are using supports the proper file format.

Reply to
Noway2

If you use Altera parallel programmer (APU), yo can use ISP pins like normal i/o pins. In this case you treat 7128S as MAX without JTAG (7128 without S).

For other MAXs with S sign and Cyclone I use Quartus II with Byte Blaster II. When I connect "blocked ISP" MAXs to BB and try to write code (sof), I get the answer: ''Unable to scan device chain''.

Noway2 napisal(a):

Reply to
djanisz

I was under the impression that the JTAG pins were multiplexed and could be used for IO after the programming cycle is complete. While I never implemented this so I didn't really investigate, I always figured that the "mode" that the device came up in would depend on the status of certain pins at reset and multiplexing these pins would require external logic.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge of the subject will answer your inquiry. If not, I would suggest reading the configuration manual very thoroughly and you could also contact Altera and or a local FAE.

Reply to
Noway2