Sources (products) for Cannibalizing FPGAs, PLDs, etc.

I showed my homebrew club how to reball and attach Xilinx BG560's > here in my wifes digital convection oven well over a year ago. It takes > a small amount of practice, which gets manageable when you also are > willing to bake and reball. There are lots of trash FPGA's to be had on > boards for a few dollars, and Solderquik preforms make reballing easy.

A list of consumer, industrial and mil. products, board names and part numbers that contain reprogrammable array logic devices would be very useful; this list could specify device type and part number, programming technique and technology (ISP, JTAG, EEPROM, SRAM, vendor programmer, etc.), package type, and comments. I'll kick it off with a somewhat obscure board (was in quantity on eBay at one time):

VENDOR PART NUMBER DEVICE PROGRAMMING PACKAGE COMMENTS

------ ----------- ------ -----------

------- -------- Waters PCB 510000150 Rev.B Altera EPM7064LC44-12 Vendor Prog.

44-pin plcc Medical related EEPROM

Additions are much appreciated!

Regards,

Michael msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

Reply to
msg

A revised list:

VENDOR PART NUMBER DEVICE PROGRAMMING PACKAGE COMMENTS

------ ----------- ------ -----------

------- -------- Waters PCB 510000150 Rev.B Altera EPM7064LC44-12 Vendor Prog.

44-pin PLCC Medical related EEPROM

Compaq SP#136344-001 Remote Xilinx xc9572xl JTAG

100-pin TQFP Under daugherter bd Insight Board

Matrox 706-02 Rev. A Video Xilinx xc5204 Ser/Par/Jtag

144-pin TQFP p/o MIL2/RRSTN VGA Capture daughter bd.

Radius VideoVision Studio Lattice pLSI1032-80LJ Programmer

84-pin PLCC Mac Video Capture NuBus 632-0156-02 EEPROM

Additions sought.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

While I can appreciate the spirit of what you are trying to do... I don't see it as being too practical. With parts of interesting density, the cost of coming up with a board to put them on is going to be greater than the cost of buying a few of them from the likes of digikey... and then, for a one off, the true economics are going to suggest turning an eval board into your device.

Recycling programmable logic doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless perhaps you find a way to use it on the board it's already on, perhaps to improve the original device... that, could indeed be fun.

Reply to
cs_posting

PACKAGE COMMENTS

------- --------

44-pin PLCC Medical related
100-pin TQFP Under daugherter bd
144-pin TQFP p/o MIL2/RRSTN VGA
84-pin PLCC Mac Video Capture

Your list should include 'model number' to it feasable to find the product aswell.

Ie: Vendor: Creative Model: SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Product introduction date also makes it easier.

Thoe I have to agree that the economics is doubtfull.

Reply to
pbFJKD

44-pin PLCC Medical related

The EPM7064 isn't ISP capable. You need a special programmer. I was just given a handful and discovered this myself. There are newer EPM7000 series parts that DO have JTAG and ISP.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

44-pin PLCC Medical related

Indeed -- that's what I meant by 'Vendor Prog.' in the list; the 'S' versions are ISP though and from that vintage.

Thanks for the reply :)

Michael

Reply to
msg

I agree that RE of a peripheral board with programmable logic to permit reuse or improvement is always interesting and useful. For many folks it is also true that scrounging for parts of even modest density is cheaper than small quantity purchases even considering time involved in depopulating and remounting on breadboard fixtures.

I am exploring the reuse of ceramic PGA (old CPUs) as a carrier for large pin count flat packs; the ZIF sockets are in abundance from old mainboards and using a cutoff wheel on a radial arm, one may open the PGA packages to expose the pins for soldering.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Agreed, whenever known that data would be helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg