Altera EPLD

In a project I use the Altera EPM3256ATC144-10. Now I have the necessity to make some changes to the project, but I don't have enough macrocells in the actual devices. Alteras doesn't have a pin-to-pin compatible EPLD with the EPM3256ATC144-10 but with more macrocelles (about +40%). What of you knows a devices that could resolve my problem? Unfortunately I cannot modify the PCB, but I could replace the Altera EPLD with any other CPLD. Thanks

Reply to
Sky

Unfortunately, I can't think of many options for you, exccept to modify the PCB. The package you picked, 144pin flat pack suppoprts your device and the smaller one. There is one more larger device in the Max3000 family, but it is also in a larger package.

If you try to switch to an alternate device, another brand, etc you will also be in a position of having to rework the PCB, so if you are going to have to do that you might as well stay with a device that you know.

Your other options, may be optimizations or elimimating some of the logic in the device and moving it into firmware, etc, but trying to gain 40% on a fairly large device is not going to be an easy task.

Reply to
Noway2

Depending on the required speed you may connect wires to the 144 pads... and connect then to an external box containing whatever. Yes, I'm aware the wires are very fine. Thus, I'd rather

1) do a new pcb 2) squeeze a reduced functionality in the existing part.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

That sounds like a wonderfull recipe for field failures if carried to production. I might say that it would be workable for a prototype, but I wouldn't go much farther than that.

You indicated in your original post that you are not able to modify the PCB. Is there a real reason for this or is it just a case of where MGT doesn't WANT to modify the PCB? Quite frankly, often times I have found that far more enegy is spent attempting to take a short cut around something and failing than would have been spent to do it right the first time.

Reply to
Noway2

Guys, This is a long history. The project doesn't only include the EPLD, but also many other expensive components. Unfortunately the change will interest a lot of board already sold. To change the PCB is certainly possible and I believe that this is the best solution, but it is not acceptable for the marketing. Someone has advised to look at the Lattice or Actel. products. I will look for there also. The solution proposed by Rene would be a true folly, also for a prototype. Thanks

Reply to
Sky

Unfortunately some of the pins have a fixed assignment, they usually are the programming pins TCLK, TMS, TDI, TDO and CLK plus the power pins. At least Altera has no system as to assigning these pins over the families. Meaning in most cases the footprint is not upgradeable. And since the manufacturer do not talk to each other in the interest of the customers, you cannot expect a competitor product to fit into the footprint what the fixed pins concerns.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

There are companies that make transition boards (including customs) that have a footprint on the bottom (and pins) that match an existing board layout and on the top is a new foot print or even room for multiple chips. This would allow you to keep existing boards, and change over to prettty much anything on the top side of the board (CPLD, FPGA, other vendors, ...)

Of course, you need the vertical clearance for this type of desperate alternative, and maybe horizontal clearance too.

plus, they will do custom designs.

Philip

Philip Freidin Fliptronics

Reply to
Philip Freidin

How about an adapter PCB? Put a "bigger" part on the board and mount the board in place of the old part. Kind of like those adapter boards that let you adapt an SMT part to a DIP socket or other footprints.

Reply to
Carl Smith

That's fine, they always ask for that :)

What you do then, is what Philips suggests, and create a carrier PCB, that underneath/on edges looks like a TQFP144, and on the top, has whatever package/device/psu fits. Maybe a BGA MachXO, MAX II if the IO voltages will allow.

Then, give them the price for that option. Nothing like some $$ to sharpen their focus :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

If you've got product in the field and your modifications don't fit into the existing device, there's not a whole lot you can do for those customers, unless you're willing to recall things.

Forget about that; the other vendors' parts won't be pin-compatible, even if they ARE available in the same package.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

If you do not want to modify the PCB, you could use an IC adapter package. We used a company ISI,

They implemented a footprint from an obsolete part to a Lattice XP device.

Reply to
Teo