Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

pretty interesting - so funny that makes you wanna a child again ;) ok, the price is not 100 but 150, guess the manufacturer did not meed the 100 USD goal

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Interesting - but the Altera, only in the prototypes, I'd guess....

good overall idea tho.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Jim,

you maybe right, the OLPC minimum order quantity is 3 MILLION pieces, eg minimum order value of round 450 Mio USD, so I guess it does pay off to go ASIC at those volumes ;)

I wonder a bit that the 100 USD target price goal have not met - as I heard there is serious project to develop a mobile phone with sub 10 USD manufacturing costs !

so if a mobile phone manufacturing cost can be pushed below 10 USD, then it is surprising that a laptop cant be pushed below 100

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti writes: |> I wonder a bit that the 100 USD target price goal have not met - as I heard |> there is serious project to develop a mobile phone with sub 10 USD |> manufacturing costs !

Perhaps because that project might in the end also not get below 15 USD?

Reply to
Markus Kuhn