Advice on Contemporary Low cost, Medium Density CPLDs

Hi All,

I have a small project which requires a 30 something Combinational Logic Block CPLD with 20ns delay. In the good old days, I would have done this using several 22V10s.

Given that I can start this one from scratch, I though that it might be time to see what is new - hence this posting.

Prioritized requirements are as follows:

1) Availability of parts. Digikey is probably the easiest distributor to use where I am located (NZ). There is no point designing in a super new part if I can't buy them easily. Quad Flat Pack is preferred, PLCC will be OK and BGA is out of the question.

2) Development tools. Verilog is preferred, but I can probably get away with a Register Translation Language, or Schematic Capture. This is a small project, so I don't want to spend more than a few US$100s on tools. I have Orcad 9 and Protel 99 if that helps.

3) Programming tools. Same as 2, I don't want to buy a US$1200 programmer for the 30 or so devices I will be using in production.

4) EEPROM or FLASH part. This is a small project; I really don't want to burden the system with a serial boot EEPROM. Programming using a JTAG or and in circuit pod would be very nice.

Usual problem really - high speed, low power, delivered yesterday on $0 budget.

Any thoughts and pointers for our against current tools and manufacturers appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Aren

Well, you could try a NZ distributor, who have them on the shelf ? :) [ eg Apex ph 04 385 3404 ? ]

You focused so much on price, you forgot to mention Vcc!

If you want 5V, then Atmel ATF1502ASL [ATF1504 etc] is the ideal.

For tools, use their WinCUPL [Free] - this can create test vectors, you can use in a programmer, if you want.

Code entry is Boolean Equations, which is all you need for 30 MC designs.

If you want 1.8V core, and lower Vcc (and faster) then look at Xilinx CoolrunnerII, and Lattice 4000z family.

If you want a more FPGA fabric, and >= 128MC equiv, and medium power, then Altera are also an option.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Well, since you asked - Lattice offers free tools,downloadable from our website, and supports schem, abel, vhdl, verilog - incodes a free simulator as well, and we do have distributors in NZ - TQFP and PLCC are available in the various families - voltage from 1.8v thru 5v - several different families to choose from - all are JTAG programmable, and programming cables can be bought online ~$65 US -

hope this helps- Mike Thomas LSC FAE NY/NJ

Reply to
Mikeandmax