Which heatsink for U800 on Tek 2465?

Hi.

I have a Tek2465 scope. I have what I think is a suitable U800 replacement. I want to heat sink it so it does not ever fail again.

What heatsink is suggested for use?

Thanks H.

Use the largest practical one you can find; the pin-finned ones used on PC CPUs are rather good in transferring heat to the air.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:xiLZe.3826$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

use one that will not contact the cabinet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A very small fan (486 cpu style) will do to, and might be easier to install. Your mileage may vary.

hth Andreas

Reply to
tekamn

"tekamn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

IIRC,heat was not the cause of failure for the horiz output IC on the

2445/65 series,it was a process problem.If a simple heat sink would have solved the failure problem,TEK would have juumped on it pronto,as they ended up replacing MANY of those ICs.and that depleted remaining stocks much faster than expected.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi Jim,

I'm not disagreeing with you, I know you worked at Tek for a long time and you are very knowledgable.

However, I keep hearing that this part gets blazing hot and that eventually causes failure.

I suppose it won't hurt to heatsink it...

H.

H wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.san.rr.com:

-somewhat- knowledgeable(about TEK stuff),IMO. There's a wide selection of TEK instruments I never serviced. Spec analyzers,digitizing scopes,logic analyzers.Some stuff was "factory only".

Oh,I'm not saying that you shouldn't heat sink it.The fan idea was a bit overkill,IMO. But use a low profile HS that will not touch the cabinet. Maybe even put a patch of insulating tape on the cabinet in that area,just in case.... .

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thus spake H:

I used one like this one:

Its profile is low enough to clear the cabinet yet the fins are above the adjacent components on the board.

Eliminate the screws (or whatever is on this sink).

Turn it over, of course.

Good idea to put tape on the inside of the case adjacent to the sink.

You'll have to re-route a small flat cable on the PC board so the sink will sit properly on the IC.

You have to get the heat from the small tab on the IC to the sink. This will mean some kind of customized spacer made of aluminum, copper, or other heat-conducting material. The mounting stud goes straight through this tab, so your spacer will have to have a hole to accommodate this.

xThere is actually a tab at each end of the IC, so if you want to go crazy, you could use 2 sinks.

Use a *small* amount of heat sink compound between all elements in the heat path.

Good luck! Long live the (your) 2465!

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address