What's this device

This might help:

CJT

Please help me ID this device so that I might find out more info...maybe a data sheet or app note....on it.

I salvaged a couple of HP printer/scanner/ fax combo units lately for parts, and there is a part that is obviously the sensor component of the scanner that I'd like to ID. It a ceramic DIP unit that looks like a long IC with a clear glass window nearly it's full length. It has 22 pins of which 13 are grounds, and it is mounted on a small daughterbaord in back of a lense which focuses the image of a scanned paper, illuminated by an array of green LED's.

There is no part number or other ID that I can see on it. What is this called? How does it work?

Is it a part which might find it's way into a project of some sort (other than a scanner)?

Thanks Jim snipped-for-privacy@cfw.com

Reply to
Jim Basinger