Re: What's it called ... ?

Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,

>usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the >conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is >probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say 8 >conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of >16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor >or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub boards. >Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip the >soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned >tails bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the connector. > >Anyone ? > >Arfa

Possibly?

JW

Or better yet

JW

Arfa Daily submitted this idea :

It is called a "flat flex cable"

filtered for solder tab to solder tab.

many examples here

and specifically one sample

OldGuy

It is made by 3M. We used to get it from Mouser or Digikey to repair Sony BetaCam decks. Some operators would constantly move the control panel up and down breaking the ribbon cable link. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

Weird. All of Arfa's posts after the original in this thread are not available on Astraweb's server. In any case, you're welcome.

Reply to
JW

I call it "power ribbon cable", but I don't know if that's the official name. It is all over the place in the larger Japanese consumer equipment I have taken the lids off of, like VCRs and stereos. Along that line, I Googled up some Japanese wire companies, but I can't find any that admit to making it, at least on their English web sites.

3M 8132 might be closer to what you want; it is 18 AWG wires (about 0.8 mm^2) on 0.156" (3.96 mm) centers. They seem to call it "power flat cable". More information might be available at this hideous link:

The same thing with resistor colors and 22 AWG wires (about 0.3 mm^2) is

3391:

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds