VSM

Dear all,

We are in need of a vibrating sample magnetometer for our lab. but don =B4t have the money to buy a new one.

We are considering

- buy a secondhand one (still expensive)

- buy the VSM head and adapt to a existing magnet. If you now where to find one, I would be happy to hear from you.

- make our own head. If someone has any good suggestions on how to make a good quality vibrator, besides the obvious loudspeaker, I would appreciate if you share your thoughts.

Any other suggestions are very much welcome.

Tanks Jos=E9 Mariano Physics Dep. University of Algarve Portugal

Reply to
jmariano

Jose, were this my problem, I'd be looking at soliciting donations of a used unit. At least in the US, such donations have clear tax benefits for the donor, and obvious benefits for the recipient! Of course Portugal may be different.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Hi Peter, tanks for the input.

A donation would be excellent, but I don't have any idea as to how to get in tuch with the people or companies who might be willing to donate such equipment. Any suggestions? Tanks

Reply to
jmariano

In the US, I'd find organizations that might use this type of equipment first. Next I'd check surplus houses that may have more inventory than they can reasonably sell. Finally, I'd contact manufacturers and see what they could do--sometimes they have demo equipment, equipment used for QC testing, or no longer current model equipment that they'll donate for the tax write-off. Again, the fact you are in Europe makes things (probably) different from around here.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to