Using a Linux x.org X server for a HP 16500B Logic analyzer

Hello, I'm trying to use my Linux computer with x.org 6.9 as an X server and the 16500B as an X client. I used the command `xhost +` in linux to allow all incomming connections to the X server. The 16500B manages to connect and throw something on the display and I am able to control it from my Linux laptop, for the most part. However, when it connects, I get this warning on the 16500B's display: "Warning: 16500 fonts not loaded on 10.0.1.5:0.0"

Whenever I try to go to a menu that brings up the virtual keyoard or numpad, I get this error on the 16500B in red, and the 16500B locks up:

X Error: BadFont Request Major code 56 ( ) ResourceID 0x500 Error Serial #2419 Current Serial #2481

So, there seems to be some font related issues. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is there a way to install these 16500 fonts on the Linux X server? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Harout S. Hedeshian

Reply to
Harout S. Hedeshian

This is what you are looking for:

This file contains instructions for loading the 16500B fonts onto a HP-UX or other unix(r) workstation. The same fonts can be used with X server packages on PC's. However, the method for installing the fonts on different PC X servers will vary by the vendor, so check with your X documentation for details and instructions.

TO LOAD THE FONTS FOR USE ON A UNIX SYSTEM:

  1. Move the files lg165.bdf and sm165.bdf from their location on the 16500B hard disk (in directory /system) to a desired directory on your Unix system. 2. Cd to that directory, and do a "mkfontdir" command. 3. Type "xset +fp ", where is the full path of your font dir. 4. Type "xset fp rehash".

That's all there is to it. Steps (3) and (4) will need to be repeated each time that X11 is restarted. To overcome this, simply install the fonts as directed in your X11 font directory, typically found in:

/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc

This directory is usually protected so this will require action from your system administrator.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Thanks. I found these font files in the system folder: lg165.bdf sm165.bdf . I used the bdftopcf tool to convert them to pcf files and gz 'd them. Then put them into the correct folder and restarted x.org and it worked. If anyone else needs details, let me know so I can provide extra details. Thanks for you help

Reply to
Harout S. Hedeshian