Re: Oscilloscope technology

You are very right, though, in the "it's digital so it must be better" mentality of the late 20th and 21st century, we often loose capability we had decades ago.

Bill C.

Go find a Tektronix 7904(A), and what ever vertical preamps and timebase

you

need. These easily do 500Mhz, are plentiful, lightweight for a full size > scope, and very versatile. > Should be easy to find on eBay. > > bob > > > In my lab there is a wide variety of oscilloscopes to chose from. > > All the new scopes are colour LCD and digital i.e they digitise the > > analog signal and display with a resolution limited by the number of A/D > > bits (12 typically often 8) is limited dynamic range and quantized noise > > floor. > > I find that for careful measurement only old fashioned analog CRT scopes > > can display small signal envelopes superimoposed on larger signals as > > often happens with Op amps that are unstable at 100s Megs. > > I also wanted to look at distortion by subtracting one channel signal > > from another, again not enough dynamic range. There are still analog > > scopes with CRTs for 200MHz by but who makes the same capable of > > operating past 500MHz, Im sure there were scopes capable of this 30 > > years ago!! > > > > -- > > ddwyer > >
Reply to
ctsbillc