Where to buy 74HC9046?

I've heard much talk over the past decade in s.e.d of the Philips-made

74HC9046 improvement on the 74HC4046 PLL, but my favorite web search tools come up quite empty when trying to find the datasheet or a distributor. The
website is phenomenally unusable, but if someone can ferret out the URL for a PDF of the datasheet I'd appreciate it.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Michael

I think you might be stuffed. I tried the easy one of typing 74HC9046 into the search facility and got the two hits you got. Perhaps it's a typo.

Pass me your space suit and I'll fart into it. :-)

DNA

Reply to
Genome

"Tim Shoppa" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Yep, I've done the same search some time ago, but finally found that the circuit is an HCT device and doesn't come into the HC flavor.

I recall having hard time to find a distro at a decent price. Do you have found one?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Doesn't look so encouraging. Future lists it, at $1.38 in one-reel lot, and "call for availability".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Well, we all know that it's really an analog part :-).

74HCT9046 works much better for the search, thanks! Arrow and Avnet have stock in SOIC, I'd rather have DIP for my playing around but I'll try whatever I can get my hands on.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Hello Tim,

My old rule: If Digikey doesn't have it (it seems they don't) then it's most likely a "boutique chip". Meaning it might become unobtainable out of the blue. Then I'd do my darndest to use a lesser but more ubiquitous performer and make it perform via a compensation loop or whatever. At least if it was a design for mass production.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I'll

it's

out

ubiquitous

I tried to find darndest in my dictionary but no luck. I think it's darnedest.

Nowadays I've read where frequency agile devices such as cellphones use PLL circuits that operate in the GHz, but I don't know if these are custom circuits just for cellphones or what. In any case, prescalers seem to work.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote (in ) about 'Where to buy 74HC9046?', on Fri, 22 Apr 2005:

It's slang, and I think the 'darndest' spelling is customary. 'Darnedest' is either a lexicographer's wet dream or the superlative of the adjective 'darned', as in 'old sock'.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Google won't 'define:' either one, nor will Kdict - but just a POOGS gets

34,600 hits on "darnedest" and 152,000 on "darndest". Art Linkletter spelled it without the 'e' in "Kids say the darndest things", as did Cosby when he copied him.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Watson,

Mountain speak, closely related to "dang!", something I try to avoid. That was particularly difficult when I laid tile and hit my head on a lava rock wall.

It's mostly custom but you can get devices for WLAN use. They are often overkill and too expensive for an application that is content with the frequency range of a 4046. Sometimes I made PLLs using regular CMOS inverters. That squishes out a few more cents versus a 4046 design and the remaining gates can be rented out. A lot more MHz, too.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It's a neutered version of "damndest",

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

inverters? wow, none of my googling would reveal that design Dave

Reply to
Dav Lag

Hello Dave,

Some of the really rock-bottom cost solutions are done either in house or by consultants like me. Most likely these designs won't ever show up on the web because of confidentiality.

However, you may find clever solutions on ham radio sites. Don't know about PLLs but a good start might be the site of the late Jan-Martin, a fellow participant in this newsgroup who died much too young:

Sites like this a full of ideas.

Sometimes even folks who turn every penny during a design can be floored: A long time ago I bought an audio RF clipper. Naturally I had to look inside and it consisted mostly of ordinary 4000 series CMOS logic used in analog functions. Yet this thing works so great that it even impressed a friend who tried it on his E-guitar. He said that their $1000 plus stuff doesn't sound this good.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I'm astonished at that comment. I find it a model of clarity. Never ever had the slightest trouble finding what I wanted there.

I can't find any reference to a 74hc9046. Where did you get the part number ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Did you mean 74HC7046 ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I didn't find it totally unusable, but it is bloated with images, and those javascript menus are supremely annoying.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think it was actually ascertained that what they meant was 74HCT9046 with some suffix.

Reply to
mc

Throws up errors by the shedload, too. Are there *any* Javascript pages out there that work properly with non- M$ browsers?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

My frustration was largely because a search on the Philips website turned up two hits on 74HC9046 but neither of them were useful for anything. In fact, the part number is 74HCT9046, and that search yields useful results.

As others have noted, the website is a bit graphics-heavy and Javascript-buggy, but I worked around those difficulties without a lot of pain. I prefer, say, the TI or NatSemi websites for a lot of things, but even those have their quirks.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa