Oscilloscopes

Can I get away with using a 20 MHz oscilloscope to satisfactorily view video waveforms?

I know that in order to trigger all the test signals properly, I should use at least a 150 MHz unit -- preferably a conventional video waveform monitor. However, I cannot afford one.

It is not my intention to measure rise times or verify parameters in a professional capacity. Rather, I want to accomplish such simple things as verifying that closed captioning is present in the correct vertical interval line, determining that color burst and sync levels are "in the ballpark," and checking for the presence of SCH frame-burst signals.

To reiterate, I will be using the scope too infrequently to justify a major expenditure of funds, yet I want one with a bandwidth sufficient enough to allow me to count the lines in the vertical interval and identify what is in them.

Reply to
Cinderlane Productions

Yes, you can. Typically video signals are below 6 MHz so this is not a problem !

-ben

Reply to
Dombo