USB oscilloscopes

I am looking at USB interfaced PC O-scopes and was wondering if anyone has experience with either PICO or Link in a 100MHz dual scope configuration. I have access to plenty of equipment at work, so this is to fill my home and/or hobby wish list.

Ron

Reply to
no_one

Look very carefully at the specs if you decide to go with a pc-scope. For 100 MHz on two channels you would probably want a 1 GHz real-time sample on each channel. That gives you a 5th harmonic on a 100 MHz signal that's just at Nyquist. AFAIK, there are no pc-scopes with that capability (at least, not yet).

Some claim x GHz "equivalent" or "repetitive" sample rates but it's likely that at least some of the important things you'll want to see are not repetitive events.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

i wouldnt bother with them, if you need a cheap scope look on ebay.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I bought the SDS200A from SoftDSP about two years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Specs: 2 channels; 200 MHz (-3 dB) bandwidth; 100 MSa/s using one channel, 50 MSa/s using two channels; 5 GSa/s equiv (for repetitive signals); 9 bits/channel vertical resolution; 10 KSa to 512 KSa buffer.

You can buy it now for around US$850. Don't buy the SDS200, because it is an older version.

Best,

Reply to
Mochuelo

experience with either PICO or Link in a 100MHz dual

to fill my home and/or hobby wish list.

100MHz is a bit high, they either don't exist or are ridiculously expensive.

A PC scope is usually a poor substitute for a stand-alone. I see only two useful applications.

1.) using it as a storage scope to analyze protocols (I2C etc). They can use PC RAM and can usually store a lot more data than a stand-alone unit. 2.) using it as as a audio spectrum analyzer up to around 100KHz.

For anything else they're just crap.

I have one, got it strictly because I needed to cover point 2 above cheaply. I needed at least 90dB dynamic range so I got the adc216 from pico, 16 bits. Standalone digital scopes all trade in their resolution in favour of speed, which sells better I guess but does not cut mustard for me in this application.

You did not state what you need this for.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep