Measuring Standard Cell Voltage

Can a modern DVM (10 Meg input) be used to measure the voltage of a standard cell without damaging the cell?

Regards, Ed Bailen

Reply to
Ed Bailen

I would think so.

-- change .combo to .com for correct email

*************************************************** "We ought always to know precisely why a given job is done in a particular way, and why it is done at all, and why it can't be done more efficiently, if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

Kevin Carney

Ed Bailen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No.(well,you will not -damage- the cell,just alter(screw-up) it's calibrated voltage)

You need a very hi-Z meter(=/> 100Meg) to avoid disturbing the voltage. SC's were originally measured using the differential voltage method,using a adjustable voltage source and a null meter.(At null,impedance is extremely high,theoretically infinite)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns95198305EF2A1jyanikkuanet@204.117.192.21:

To add;you also will not have enough resolution on a DMM to get an accurate reading of the SC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Thanks, Jim, I hadn't thought of that.

Ed Bailen

Reply to
Ed Bailen

The small current drawn will greatly affect the accuracy of your measurement, and probably affect the cell. You should adjust a precision power supply such as the HP 6111 to the cell voltage, then put your microvolt meter between the cell and the 6111, and adjust until the

6111 is the same voltage. Then use the 6111 for your measurements. HP 6111 and similar precision PSes go for $40 to $100 on Ebay.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

voltage

accurate

Depends om the DMM. High end 5-1/2 or 6-1/2 digit meters can measure microvolts.

tml

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I used to have one of these on my workbench at TEK-Orlando. I don't recall if it has a sufficiently high input-Z.

But a *NICE* DMM.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net