Measuring Large resistances

I am having problems trying to measure resistance values above

100MegaOhms. My Laboratory Ohmeter gives unstable values.

Is ther anyway apart from the usual dc bridges of getting accurate resistance measurements.

Thanks guys.

Kreyen

Reply to
Kreyen

On a sunny day (Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:12:29 +0100) it happened Kreyen wrote in :

Sure, 100 volt in 100 MOhm = 1 uA. How accurate can you measure current?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Are you trying to measure a resistor or something else? What range variations are you getting? Did you consider surface leakage and other interfering factors? What level of accuracy do you need?

Reply to
pimpom

I'm trying to measure 3 resistances to be used for calibration purposes.. I'm getting variations of several percent while I'm looking into a t least a 0.1 percent accuracy level.

Kreyen

Reply to
Kreyen

Well we got this expensive meter at the Lab at work so I can't see how accurate its current abilities are ... as I'm now at home sweet home . But I'll check tomorrow and let you know the values. It is a HP and a very professional looking device though.

Kreyen

Reply to
Kreyen

On resistors in those high range, even finger prints on the resistor can affect accuracy. Solution: Clean them with isopropyl alcohol and let them dry, then try measuring them again.

Some meters have a nanoSiemens range which is 1/Resistance, they usually give accurate readings. Other that that a megohmeter that uses high voltage to measure resistance is usually used.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

I was about to suggest something similar to Jan's but decided to ask for more details. For that level of accuracy, a bridge would be your best bet. With the jury-rigged method, it goes without saying that the supply would have to be stable and accurate to better than 0.1%, with a similar requirement for the measuring instrument.

Perhaps you could try your lab ohmmeter again, making sure that everything is squeaky clean and perfectly dry. In still air. Varying thermal gradients might also have affected the readings.

Reply to
pimpom

100M isn't that high, well, depending on what kind of accuracy you're looking for.

How much instability are you seeing? How much above 100M?

LMC6042 has 2fA (typical) input bias current and costs a couple dollars one-off.

A 100M 1% resistor with 50ppm/K tempco runs around five dollars. A 1G 1% resistor with similar tempco is maybe double that.

Most inexpensive DMMs on the lower ranges have very high input impedance so the LMC buffer might not be necessary.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

High value resistors are (depends on the model) somewhat unstable. I currently have a batch of Dale 1G/1%. They measure fine with 100V bias which is the datasheet measuring conditions. When measuring them at low voltage, they're all over the place, from +3ish% to +7ish%. Yep, not even grouped... On the contrary I've some Caddok rated

Reply to
Fred Bartoli

I've got a fluke 189 multimeter that reads 100M ohms just fine. (Ohmite brand.) Since the meter has 10 Meg input impedance they must do some tricks in software. Which suggests that you might measure a good 10M ohm resistor and then try putting the 100M in parallel. See if you get better numbers... of course you will have reduced accuracy, but it might work. At least you might learn if it's the meter or the resistors that are flakey.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A quick+dirty way to do it is:

Measure a power supply or 9-volt battery with your DVM. Then measure it again with the unknown resistor in series.

Most DVMs have a 10M input resistance on their volts ranges. So Rx and the 10M DVM form a voltage divider, and you can do the math on that. You should be able to measure at least a Gohm or so to a couple of per cent accuracy.

If your DVM has an infinite-impedance option (many bench meters do on their 10-volt ranges) you can make a divider from Rx and a 1G resistor, measure that with the infinite DVM, and do that math. Digikey has 1G resistors.

A Keithley 610C measures up to 1e14 ohms. I got one on ebay for $150.

I also built this:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99A260A1.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99A260A3.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99S260A.JPG

John

One cute method is to build a current-controlled oscillator, with a CMOS op amp connected as a Schmitt trigger, a voltage reference, a small MOSFET for the reset, and a good integrating capacitor. When you stick a current into the capacitor, the output frequency gives you the current. (No, this isn't the most accurate possible VFC, but it works pretty well for ~1% accuracy or a bit better.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

My 17 years old Beckman DM27 xl multimeter has a 2G range on it. It can't do 0.1% accuracy at 2G, of course, but it does a good job for me (I use 1G resistors in HV biases, encounter them in HPGe detectors preamps etc.). Got it at about $100 back then.

Dimiter