In-circuit IC tester?

I have been searching for a long time for a device that will test digital and analog ICs in circuit. I have seen some old ones but I would like something newer. Something with a USB port that you can hook up to a computer would be great and the ability to add devices to the list is a must have. There has got to be something out there. I would like the price to be under $1000.00. I have so many boards that I look at and think "Is this chip working or not" Some boards I can't apply power to. It would be nice to be able to have adaptors for the newer SMD device and a 48 pin ziff socket also. I have a Huntron with a HSR-410 but I don't always have duplicate boards or chips to compare to But I would think there are other companies out there that make something like this. Now I have searched google for hours, day after day, for a long time. So I have seen pretty much anything that comes up with a related word search using google. So unless I missed something someone is going to have to have experience in the electronic troubleshooting field and maybe worked with something similar. If I was smart I would make one. I have seen many out of circuit checkers. And like I mentioned some old discontinued devices that check digital IC chips in circuit. I also have the HP Comparator but that has so many limitations. I would like this device to have most chips stored in memory and you punch the chip number in and hook up a clip onto the chip that is in circuit and it runs some tests on it, with and without power. For both digital and analog and other types of devices. Has anyone seen anythink like this?Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Russ

There are too many *different* ICs of different types in a GIVEN package for this to be possible. Take something "simple" like the SOT23-3 package; 1) dual cathode diodes; 2) dual anode diodes; 3) Jfets(P and N channel); 4) MOSfets(P and N channel); bipolar transistors (NPN, PNP; single, darlington); 5) single diodes (may be various lead configurations). Now that may not be an exhaustive list, but it gives you an idea as to variety. The SOT23-5 allows even more variety; 8-pin DIP/SO-8 etc is worse yet.

And "in-circuit"?? Forgeddit. Too much other things can be connected to the DUT that could be DUDs to mess with analysis of any type; even if all is OK, other devices can cause abnormal readings (where "abnormal" means same detection scheme on an isolated known good part).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reply to
Russ

Think of the very simple case of a single logic gate, say a two-input OR gate, in circuit. How would your hypothetical tester test it? There are two inputs and one output; there's nothing else that can be measured, so you have to base your decision on that. Okay, so suppose you measure zero at both inputs and at the output. That's working, right? Well, it's correct, but maybe the chip is completely dead; you'd get the same results.

So, you say, fine, I'll inject a signal into one of the inputs. Ah, but can you do that? Suppose that the reason the inputs are zero is that something else connected to the inputs is shorted to ground. So, you can't inject enough signal to get the logic level to change. No way to test. Or, suppose that the inputs are high, but the output is zero. It could be that the gate is defective; or, it could be a short-circuit somewhere else, pulling the gate down.

And so on. The bottom line is that there are very, very many circuits where it is simply not possible to test a device in circuit, because the fact that it is in circuit interferes.

Okay, that was assuming that you could get to all the pins. But modern chips often have the pins on the bottom - Ball Grid Array. Once it's soldered to the board, there's no way to access the pins, even if you could do something useful with them.

And speaking of chips with lots of pins: they tend to be memories, microcontrollers, and the like. That is, they have software and/or data inside them. Suppose that a particular chip is a microcontroller, and one of its functions is that a particular output is supposed to either be a buffered or an inverted copy of one of its inputs, depending on a user-configurable value in flash memory. How would you possibly test that? It's not enough to know the datasheet for the chip: to know what its behavior is supposed to be, you have to know the software that it is currently running, as well as its entire history of input data.

So, that's why general-purpose IC testers in general, and in-circuit ones in particular, are so hard to find. They are only useful on an extremely limited set of cases.

Reply to
Walter Harley

Reply to
Russ