IC tester???

Is there a repair tool that you can put a IC chip into or use a clip with jumper to connect to the device that will tell you what the chip is and if the chip is working or not. I have one of those old HP comparators but that has a lot of limits. I would like something a little more current that tests newer chips. I saw something on eBay called a Hy-Tronic ??? but could find no info on it anywhere. There has got to be something like this. Also along the same lines has anyone seen something like the above where you can put PAL chips into and the device can determine the program from testing the inputs and outputs? You would think someone out there would make something like this.

Thanks Russ

Reply to
Russ

that

this.

you

testing

ISTR Popular Electronics may have had a design like that. But it was for very basic chips only - forget PALs and GALs.

NSM

The HP comparator is pretty good, but it only works on TTL level digital chips, and I don't know what it's frequency limit is. I'm not aware of anything better. Mine has occasionally served me very well.

You DO know about the special board that HP made to go with the comparator so that you could insert any TTL IC in the socket and program it with switches to make that test, don't you? At least that will allow you to test ANY TTL IC, at least up to the frequency limit of the comparator.

Occasionally I've toyed with converting my HP Comparator over to some other logic family so that I could at least work with different voltage levels. The frequency is probably limited by the cabling and board layout, however.

-

Jim Adney