Eprom programmer question

I have just been put in charge of finding a good general prom programmer for my work. I've used programmers twice, which makes me the "expert", so now it's handed off to me. Since I'm not even experienced with these, I was wondering if there is a brand that is preferred? Budget is around $500-750, and we will mostly be doing

27c256's, 27c512's, 27c64's, there was one oddball that I can't remember, but most that I looked at supported all the chips that we would be working with. Does anyone have any input on a generally easy to use, good quality programmer? It wouldn't be used very often and doesn't necessarily have to have any fancy features like an emulator. Thanks for all help, I can get a list of all the chips we'd be working with if necessary Monday.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
sck0006

The Willem programmer has worked very well for me, although as with most PROM burners I occasionally do get a bad burn (which is easily detected in the verification phase of the burn). You sure can't beat it for the price.

It requires both a USB port (for power) and an enhanced parallel port. I have actually never burned anything but 27256s and 27C256s, but it should have no trouble handling the ones you mentioned.

No relation to the seller (except for having bought my own programmer from them).

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

Look at XELTEK

I have a SUPERPRO 280 programmer, it work very well and is relatively cheap. Good luck Pierre-François

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Pierre-François

Try to get an old stock Advantech Labtool 48, but be careful not to get a chinese rebuild - at least the rebuilt Labtool 48 XP is not software compatible. I was lucky enough to get a new original one (non-XP version) for less than 300 EUR, I've worked with this unit from 1999 to 2001 doing lots of chips (PIC, Atmel, EEPROM, EPROM, Flash) for service purposes, so I decided I also need this one after I spent a whole weekend trying to repair a notebook BIOS which my previous programmer, a self made Willem, not supported. I'm quite happy with it, but it took me half a day to figure out that Windows XP is permanently trying to locate PnP printers on my parallel port so that a longer (4Mbit or so) programming always failed. I just remember that I've also backup'ed 82Ssomething PROMs for one of our customers with this thing - quite useful.

regards

Reply to
Stefan Huebner

Thanks for the inputs everyone. At least now I have a few brands to go off of. I'll try to find out if they'd rather save money with a Willem or get something a little more universal.

Thanks again Steve

Reply to
sck0006

I really like the devices made by BP Microsystems. I own a CP-1128 that handles everything from 2716 up to 27512, without a problem. Everything is handled on-screen so there are no jumpers or switches to worry about. It uses a parallel port connection. This particular unit is about 10 years old, though; I bought it on eBay.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar