Electronics Bread Board

Can anyone recommend a good bread board with a lot a features that I can get to practice and test circuits? Please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com with any info. Thank You.

Reply to
freakboy1979

Something like this? (Jameco p/n 75838, if the URL gets mangled):

or this (p/n 136266)

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Those solderless breadboards are crap.

1) Lots of inter-bus coupling capacitance. 2) Lots of bus inductance. 3) Worst of all, are the bits of metal (created by insertion/removal of part leads) that drop down and eventually cause intermittents and/or shorts. You are better off doing a "jungle jim" layout than using them. Get the prototyping perf boards that have copper pads from Radio Shack. They have a number of sizes of plain circular pad boards, some with power buses for DIP, some that take a DIP and "fan out" the leads to multiple pads around the device. There are other sources for similar boards, and all of them are far superior to the expense and problems that the solderless breadboards have.
Reply to
Robert Baer

The OP wasn't asking for an opinion on breadboards in general, nor on whether something "with a lot of features" would be a good choice. I think he might be better off with separate power supplies, meters, a sig gen, etc. but for someone just starting out the convenience of a single "all in one" package may outweigh other factors.

On the contrary, I've found them to be quite appropriate for one-off sim/stim and test setups that can be recycled into the spare parts bins afterwards. Yes, due consideration should be made for the characteristics of the interconnects, as with any circuit. I must admit, though, that I've never experienced the "bits of metal" you describe, but then I've never had many metal bits flake off from AWG 24 wire, either.

From the (somewhat sparse) original question I'd guess that the OP is looking for something to practice with voltage dividers, 555 timers, basic op amps, discrete TTL, and the like. As he has made only one other usenet post (under that addy) and included an un-mangled e-mail address in both the From line and the body, I suspect that he's a bit new at all this and, with some reservations regarding cost-effectiveness, either of the two links above would seem to answer his question and to be appropriate for his level of expertise.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to