is this (unknown) hardware coming out from any boatanchor or old test equipment??

Tubes are: one EF800, one EF80 and one ..missing (??).

Can anybody out there help me identifying this stuff? What is it? Where is it coming out from? What is that big black cylinder? What is the strange component close to the variable cap in the second picture?

Thank you. Emanuele (iw1dhi).

Reply to
Emanuele Girlando

one hint is the motor/generator - that kind of sets it up as probably military - at least I assume that is what the siemens black cylinder is - I can't read the text on the label

Reply to
Bill Noble

Looks like a dynamotor

(a dc motor driving a dc generator)

Reply to
philo

It has 100 kHz on the label and 50 C so I would think it is some form of oven crystal oscillator.

Tom

Reply to
tm

The canister looks like a crystal oven.

Paul P.

Reply to
Paul_P

The canister looks like a crystal oven

Paul P.

Reply to
Paul_P

The cylinder could be a xtal oven??? Ken

Reply to
Ken

The big black thing is a temperature controlled oven for a crystal. Notably a 100.0 KHz crystal.

I suspect the square object adjacent to the variable capacitor is another cyrstal, although, not crystal controlled, and adjusted for frequency with the variable capacitor next to it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

Yep. It says so on the label. The 20VDC operating voltage kinda suggests that this thing runs on 24VDC as in aircraft or military.

My guess(tm) it's a ferrite pot core inductor. The hole in the middle is for adjustments. Judging by the ratty lacing cord around the chopped off wire bundle and several uninsulated resistors, I would guess it's from the 1940's or 50's.

As for the entire contrivance, I would guess it's part of a frequency standard or piece of test equipment. Possibly a frequency reference.

The other Jeff.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Yes, I thought about a crystal OSC oven... but @100,0KHz! What kind of application could require a so precise, so stable but so low in frequency signal?

PS: clicking on the pictures you can enlarge them so that you can read the oven label...

Reply to
Emanuele Girlando

Well, a frequency standard. Or they use harmonics to calibrate equipment at regular intervals.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

Thinking in terms of the 1950-60's, a comb generator (a signal every

100KHz from DC to light), reference clock for driving other pieces of test equipment, Loran C or navigation reference, some manner of synthesizer reference, NavSat reference, inertial navigation system reference clock, precision motor driver, really old tube type digital clock, etc.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, I thought about a crystal OSC oven... but @100,0KHz! What kind of application could require a so precise, so stable but so low in frequency signal?

PS: clicking on the pictures you can enlarge them so that you can read the oven label...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Loran?

Reply to
tm

Yes, I thought about a crystal OSC oven... but @100,0KHz! What kind of application could require a so precise, so stable but so low in frequency signal?

PS: clicking on the pictures you can enlarge them so that you can read the oven label...

***************************************************************** Most commonly, they were used as marker/calibration generators in military (and some commercial) HF receivers, to facilitate easy of reading frequency on the analog dials.
Reply to
Brenda Ann
100KC reference such as this would be adequate as a "reference" for most communications receivers and such as several have suggested - however several also suggested navigation reference clocks - which I will comment on: such a reference would not be anywhere near accurate for most navigation measurements- I don't know of a navigation system (time based) that used a reference that "low" and inaccurate. LORAN A based on such would only resolve to a mile or so; LORAN C would be only slightly better (decent LORAN C receivers even in the early '60s could resolve to a few hundred yards minimum - often better. Today .1 to .25 mile is "norm" depending on location on the hyper lines). To run at that sort of accuracy - they need a system clock at least 1MC - preferably with a stability of 3x10-6 (that's 10 to the minus 6) or better. Today's standards run at 3x10-10 to 3x10-12. The Coast Guard currently maintains accuracy of the C chains to something like 2x10-13. Point being - TDA and TDB are measured in microseconds - which is kinda hard to do (accurately) with a 10 microsecond clock.

SINS is another time based nav system that requires a relatively high accuracy clock. Even the SINS from the 50s were running against clocks in the several hundred kilocycles - which itself was slaved to the boat's master clock - which was a URQ series standard running at 1MC (URQ-9,10) or 5MC (URQ13/23). The early SINS could get away with sub-MC clocks because their integrators were analog (linear mode) vs. digital (approximated mode) - i.e. offset errors of the slower clock don't accumulate as they do in a an incremental (digital) integrator). Even with these early SINS computers / integrators - their clock were way above 100KC. I wouldn't want to navigate a tight spot with a SINS limited to that kind of (lack of) accuracy. I'll note that not only receivers - but signal generators often used a reference like the one in the picture to produce "beat notes" to allow zeroing the dial every

100KC (my HP 606B has a 1MC & 100KC generator that allows "zero beating" the dial every 100KC with a "check" at 1MC to make sure the adjustment is).

just my .02 rg

Reply to
Randy

Hi,

It might come from a Siemens E311 shortwave receiver, which employs a

100 kHz oscillator as reference for the local oscillator. Refer to
If I am wrong, the Rel 673533 number should give a hint, as it is the part number of the spare part.

Christian

Reply to
Christian Keck

Hi,

I was wrong. The E311b parts bear part number Rel4...

Christian

Reply to
Christian Keck