Advice on affordable USB oscilloscope

I'm an hobbist and I'd like to purchase an affordable - but decent - USB oscilloscope. What do you think about the following product?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
[ Frank ]

Honestly, I think the 200kHz sample rate is wayyyyyy toooo slow. ;-) I think that if you look around, you can find yourself a nice chinese DSO for about twice the money. Something like this maybe:

I just bought the DS1102C and I really like it. Believe me it blows that USB scope away with 400 million samples per second and a 1MB buffer depth. Plus it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anthony Fremont ha scritto:

It's 445¤ (the version including 16channel Logic Analyzer) Anyway, seems a very good instruments. Thanks

Reply to
[ Frank ]

The logic analyzer adds allot to the price at least on the model that I bought. It added 50% to the price, so I didn't get that option. These are fairly inexpensive, but I don't know anything about them:

Larger screen and battery options, lower sampling rate, but still miles ahead of the USB scope. I went with the Rigol because they make one of Agilent's low-end scopes and I liked the features.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Description says:

--
400 MSa/s maximum real-time sample rate and 25 GSa/s maximum equivalent
sample rate

They sample it over multiple cycles and combine them. If the signal isn't repeating identically it doesn't work. "equivalent sample rate" is a BS spec; if I *had* a repeating signal I would be using the analog scope anyway. My advice is to ignore it and pay attention to the 400.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

Exactly.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The first figure is for continuous sampling over a time period, & the second figure is for sampling with skewed timing offsets over multiple time periods. Eg; it might take 10 samples over one cycle at X+0%, then another 10 samples from the next cycle at X+5%, etc, resulting in finer detail, but with the risk of aliasing.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."