60 Hz RF

--
Actually, he hasn't, since he only presented half of the solution.

What would be required, in addition to the coil, would be a capacitor
with a reactance equal and opposite to the reactance of the coil at
60Hz in order to make the system resonant and generate the EM field
via the radiation resistance of the circuit.
Reply to
John Fields

The best way is to stick your fingers in an outlet socket. Your body makes a great aerial at 60Hz. We do it all the time in the UK, but it's not as efficient as we are on 50Hz...

Reply to
TTman

True, but supposedly it's easier to let go when you need to mind the chickens or somesuch at 50Hz than 60Hz...

In Kaiser's "Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook," he does include the human body in an (otherwise?) completely serious table of antennas and their various properties!

(You guys might not have access to this book, as being upwards of 4" thick and heavy enough to double as a hammer it's probably classified as a weapon over there... :-) )

Reply to
Joel Koltner

A coil doesn't have to be resonated to radiate EM waves. Resonating it just reduces the load on the AC power supply.

But "high intensity" is another matter. Hard to do with a reasonable-sized coil, at 60 Hz.

John

Not true.

For a given power output, if the circuit is parallel resonant, then
the power supply has to supply the voltage and current required to
drive the tank's resistance.

If it's series resonant, the power supply still has to supply the
voltage and current required to drive the tank's resistance.
Reply to
John Fields

gh

If all the circuit parameters are known, what equation is used to calculate the RF power emitted? TIA.

Reply to
Joe Snodgrass

I believe that is true, John. The field is radiated by passing current through the *radiation resistance*. It doesn't care how the current comes to be, whether it is due to circulating current or from a source which can supply the current without resonance.

Yes, the tank's resistance plus radiation resistance.

Yes, the tank's resistance plus radiation resistance.

Well, check the radiation resistance vs the system's resistance. In the case of a 60 Hz loop of "reasonable dimensions", you will probably find the radiation resistance to be in the micro-ohms or less. This will give nano-percent efficiency.

By the way, I am assuming we are discussing transverse electromagnetic radiation.

Reply to
John KD5YI

Who said anything about "reasonable?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

a coil would radiate a (strong) magnetic field with 60 Hz, but a very weak electric field. For an efective radiation of EM waves, you would need the electric and magnetic fields together, with balanced strength. Otherwise the EM waves could not work over larger distances.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

thought experiment..

take a small coil with a large current that radiates as you say a strong magnetic field but a weak electric field.

right next to it, put a small probe with a high voltage that radiates a strong electric field but a weak magnetic field.

Phased correctly these two should be an efficient EM radiator....

But they are not...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

On a side note...

A single pulse into a coil inside an armor case will shrink coins just fine!

The coil evaporates, but the coin shrinks from the magnetic force.

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

A couple of thousand kilometers would be fine, if you can keep the Q up.

John

Loop antennas work fine. They just get a tad large at 60 Hz.

Joh

Excellent is there any prize money involved?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh I could spray plenty of 60 Hz around without a capacitor. But sure add cap. Series resonance? Do you want a share of my prize money?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

gh

The 60 Hz AC magnetic fields have gotten so bad at the place I work, that I now have to schlep the optical pumping apparatus back to my home to test it. (~0.5 milli Gauss line widths at ~10 Gauss fields.) The AC fields are ~1-2 mG in strength. I thought about trying dectect and cancel them over a small area.. but gave it up.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

With Spice, don't need no steenkin' "reasonable". ;-)

Reply to
krw

How about a BIG COIL plugged in to the transmission line from Hoover Dam :-)

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill K7NOM

Go look at the quarter shrinking site.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

My office opens onto a weld shop. When the weldor[1] guy strikes a

300 amp arc, my monitor screen distorts.

Cheers! Rich [1] weldor: a guy who uses a welder. welder: the machine the weldor uses.

Reply to
Rich Grise