Good way to find the chip you want?

Hi, I'm Tomás, I'm a college student and I'm doing an embedded systems project for my degree this year.

I'm using the 74HCT family of chips on my board, (e.g. 74HCT4543 for a BCD to 7-seg decoder).

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a good way of finding the chip I want for a given purpose without going on a wild goose chase? For instance, I want an 8-to-3 encoder but I haven't a clue what the code is for the chip. When I try google for it I get a menagerie of crap links.

Is there any sort of site out there where I can type in 16-to-4 encoder and it will give me a nice list of possible chips? (In the 74HCT family most pertinently)

One other thing, I'm using a MAN74 7-seg display (which is common- cathode) on my board; does anyone know the code for an identical display but which is common-anode? (I've tried googling for stuff like MAN73 and MAN75 but to no avail).

Another thing, the software side of the project is being programmed in standard C (C89 to be exact). I've heard that some C compilers for microcontrollers are a bit funky when it comes to abiding by the standard. Are there any boobie traps I should watch out for? One thing I heard about, and I can't remember to which compiler they were referring, was that the compiler in question stores automatic variables as static data rather than on a stack, meaning that the machine will explode if I use recursive functions (not to mention the waste of memory). Other little complications would be that the integer types don't follow the rules (such as sizeof(char)

Reply to
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Goto farnell.com, rswww.com, mouser digikey, etc, they have datasheets, and compare functions

or go to the kingbright or avago sites, like the rest of us do

no comments on the rest of your post

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Martin Griffith:

Wonderful, thanks!

--
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
Reply to

I recommend getting one the general reference/data books that cover this kind of thing along with formulae etc that you should really know but don't. The one I use is Newnes Electronics Engineer's Pocket Book, ISBN 0-7506-0937-0. Although that is now sadly out of print I'm sure you can find something similar. This particular one include listings of 74 and 40 series logic devices by number and function along with pin outs for the more commonly used devices. A lot of the time you needn't bother with the data sheet.

Hopefully someone can recommend a currently available equivalent.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org