Battery charger - 50 Hz at 60 Hz

Hi Experts

I have an Energizer 4-unit AA or AAA battery charger that was designed for

220-240V 50 Hz, 7 watts.

What would happen if I used it on 230V 60 Hz?

TIA

RF

Reply to
Red Fox

Should work fine.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

No problemo.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Nothing bad ! The voltages and frequencies are so close as not to make any difference ! In any case the secondary side regulators will easily compensate for any small differences.

--
Baron:
Reply to

Thanks Charles, Homer and Baron.

Nice news and much appreciated :-)

RF

Reply to
Red Fox

But where are you finding 230v at 60Hz?

The difference in frequency won't matter, since the charger isn't something that makes use of the frequency and it's a small enough shift that it isn't likely to bother operation.

But a shift in voltage would affect things, and you do need to make sure that it's not just the frequency that is different, but that the voltage remains the same.

If you try to run it off 120v, it likely won't work, and that's the voltage often associated with 60Hz.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

He clearly stated 230 volts.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

He can. It will handle up to 288 VAC at 60 cycle without damaging the transformer. Other parts may not be so lucky.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In america!

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Every house in America has 230 volts +- . Your electric dryer and electric range all are nominal 230 volts.

Reply to
Ray

Actually most all are 208/240. 240 is used for split 120/240 systems, and in apartments you usually get 208/120 3 phase.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

If this is an el-cheapo non-intelligent charger, it may happen that the accus are only charged to about 83%.

Background: These chargers apply a given current over a fixed time (ususally 14 h). The time is frequently determined by a counter that is driven by the 50-Hz line signal.

Cheers + HTH,

- Joerg

--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/joerg.hau/

Quite correct Ray.

Thank you all for the inputs.

RF

electric

Reply to
Red Fox

Not quite a cheapo. I paid about 45 euros for it and 4 AA batteries.

RF

Reply to
Red Fox