Where to buy p89lpc932 in UK

Is is possible to buy hobby quantities of Philips microcontrollers in the UK?

I just tried the UK distributor, eurodis, who told me they have a minimum order of 100 uk pounds.

It's so easy to buy PICs that I was complacent about getting another kind of micro- I spent a lot of time learning the 8051 instruction set before checking that I could actually buy these chips.

Nigel

Reply to
Ian Gold

Ian Gold schrieb:

a) That are *really* nice chips. :-) b) Ask catalog distributors like RS, Farnell and Digikey. Maybe these chips are available there meanwhile. c) Also try Arrow and Avnet. Ask for samples, normally this is possible. d) If you can't get samples there, you might contact Philips directly, their uC support is very good - maybe you can get samples there or they can force some vendor to sell you a small quantity... :-)

Good luck,

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

Thank you, Tilmann.

I have an account with RS, but they do not supply the chip. I will check the other vendors, be persistent, and, yes, maybe Philips themselves can help.

It would be good marketing if they supported students wanting small quantities, in case those students were in a position to order 100,000 chips in a few years' time.

best regards

Ian

Reply to
Ian Gold

Someone asked the same thing on the Philips MCU forum - these people were suggested:

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

In article , Leon Heller writes

They are in New Zealand but the sell in MOQ of 5.

However a UK solution is being sought AFAIK

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Ian Gold writes

This should change shortly.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Tilmann Reh writes

RS and Farnell should be stocking these parts but it is a long cycle to get anything in to their catalogues.

They should be able to provide samples.

Unfortunately this will not work. The reason why Philips (and all the others) have distributors is to handle the smaller customers.

It should be possible to get the parts from the distis.

Regards Chris /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

You could try Quarndon- if thgey have stock they are usually happy to supply 1 offs.

- be patient.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Thanks, everyone.

I'm following up your leads.

Ian Gold

Reply to
Ian Gold

TO CONCLUDE:

I was able to order 10 microprocessors from Quarndon.

£2.67 each plus VAT. Free delivery.

Unfortunately, it was not a stock item, so I won't be getting them for four weeks. Other people odering might have more luck if Quarndon keeps a stock in from now.

The buying process was very formal and corporate. I received a written quote on company letterhead. But the service was courteous and warm, so thanks to Quarndon's sales staff.

Quarndon Electronics Limited Slack Lane, DERBY DE22 3ED Tel: 01332 332651 Fax: 01332 360922

I also have a good word for Acqura.com who have a good online shop and low postal charges to the UK of 7 NZ dollars. 1 NZ dollar = 34p. The reason I did not order from Acqura is that having got the chips into the UK I would then have had to pay unknown charges and possibly face attitude fron UK customs. But the acqura staff were friendly and helpful.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Now back to the Raisson simulator while I wait for the chips....

Ian

Reply to
Ian Gold

Silica Rutherford Close, Meadway Stevenage SG1 2EF

+44 7740 055008

They will supply samples and small orders. They also have stock.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

Reply to
Chris Hills

Thanks, Chris,