What is your favorite PCB software?

I've been using Eagle for more than 5 years now. A little tricky to use it. You don't select an object, and then choose what to do with it. You first select what you want to do, and then you select objects to apply that action to. That is a little odd at the beginning, but once you get used to it, you work faster.

Copy&Paste and Cut&Paste are somewhat odd. Cadsoft should improve that.

The C scripting language that it includes is very powerful. For instance, if you need to place pads for LEDs, tracks, etc, with circular symmetry (every 22.5º, for instance), you can easily program that. By hand, it would by a hell, not to say impossible.

Best, Jon

Reply to
Jon

editor.

Isn't that what grids and snap are for?

Reply to
Joel

Disclaimer: My company sells EAGLE online to customers in North America (see sig below). But I'm also an engineer and I use EAGLE for _real_ work on a daily basis.

I like EAGLE. Version 4 and previous did take some getting used to the UI. This is a stumbling block for some people. The main reason is that EAGLE's motif was to pick your function, then pick your object. The idea being that you typically will perform the same function on multiple objects. And in reality I find this to be true, thus this i/f is generally the optimal way to go.

However, Windows and other modern UI's are all object based: pick your object then your function. Anyone who is used to this will find EAGLE's old UI a bit obtuse at the start. But trust me, once you use it a lot you see the brilliance of it all.

That all said, version 5.0 (due out soon) has the best of both worlds. You can use it like 4.1 if you're used to that or want to use it, and you also right-click on any object and then pick your function. So this should satisfy most complaints about the UI. It is also based on QT4 which means it runs natively on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X with file compatibility between all platforms.

The real reason I like it is that the schematic and PCB are coming from the same database (other s/w has this to, PCB123 from Sunstone is one example). Thus there is no forward or back annotation--all modifications are applied to both simultaneously. This is a big bonus and seriously cuts down on chaos when things change.

To some degree you can get used to any tool, but I have used pretty much every major tool out there and when its my money on the line (like it is in my business) then I'll choose EAGLE every time since it provides the best value for the dollar that I've ever seen. This argument is coming from a professional point of view where things like unlimited, free support forever and the cost of crashes and other quality issues have a real cost associated with them. For hobbyists the value equation is different so using it for complicated design may not make as much sense if you count your time as worthless or can make due with something that is completely free.

That all said, I like gEDA from the point of view that it seems to be getting to the point that it is a viable option for some and as it gets better it is going to force commercial products to get better too. That helps us all.

Cheers,

James.

--
James Morrison
www.eagletoolkit.com

r.

With Pulsonix I just use a polar grid, which is even easier!

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Grids only work for evenly spaced stuff. If your component has a list of hole positions that dont line up with a grid, then a script or command-line interface is the only way to fly. I guess you could create a whole set of grids, but that's a lot more work than just pasting the list of hole positions into a script.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! You can't hurt me!!
                                  at               I have an ASSUMABLE
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

PADS Power PCB 3.5.1 (version from around 2000) and started with PADS for DOS. I would have started with DOS OrCAD PCB tool, but it was more expensive than PADS at the time. I have the Specctra auto-router for it (withdrawn when Cadence bought it). Never tried the Blaze auto-router. Oh, I used this with DOS OrCAD and Viewdraw.

I've since used Cadance tools: Allegro and Concept. They annoy me.

Actually that brings up another question: do people actually use auto-routers anymore? I used Specctra successfully on a bunch of PCB projects. Everyone who uses Allegro seems to hand-route everything. Perhaps the setup work to use the auto-router for high speed signals is as much as just hand routing them.

Either that or the PCB contractor wants more billable hours :-)

--
/*  jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */                        /* Joseph H. Allen */
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joseph H Allen

I hand route sensitive traces, then see what the autorouter can do. Sometimes the autorouter does well enough that I just accept it, other times it either can't route completely or makes a horrible mess out of it. I use those results (er, after undoing) to further hand-route the problem traces, then autoroute again and see what happens.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Yes, and they give quite good results, used correctly. On large layercounts, they can pull ahead of manual design easily.

They are so fast on modern PCs, they can be used as a) fast prototype-generation. The SW team (often much larger than the PCB divn), often cannot start detailed work, until they have a functional lash-up. b) as Placement checks. You can trial half a dozen placement combos, and choose the best one for clean-up, in a morning.

That can happen, but there are also the Steerable-Shove routers. Not sure if you call those auto-routers or not ? They allow the operator to direct the path, and the router does the detail-maths. PADS has two of these.

That comes into it as well :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

If you run an autorouter, it puts down many traces exactly as you would have; straight runs between pads that are next to each other, etc. I run the autorouter, delete all the traces that aren't run the way I would have run them, and do my manual layout from there. this cuts the time needed to finish the job in half.

If you do a good job of placing the parts and run the autorouter with the right design rules and let it rip-up-and retry overnight, it gets a surprisingly large percentage right, and even the nets that need to be routed manually often have the pins already swapped the way I would have done it.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

r.

Oh,

I sometimes use the Pulsonix autorouter, it does a very good job. I route the critical tracks manually, of course.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

As I understand it, the reason Electra is similar to Specctra is that it is written by the guys that originally wrote Specctra, but didn't move to Cadence. So it works in a similar way, and will give similar results. It is not as flexible as Specctra, but good enough for the great majority of autorouting tasks, much faster, and *much* cheaper. We also have an old Specctra license, but I tested out Electra's demo version - when we look for a second autorouter license, it will be Electra.

Electra/specctra (at least, the old Specctra that I have used) have a very rigid autorouting philosophy, running routes on 90 degree paths with alternate layers biased in alternate directions. That works well for quite a lot of boards, but can give poor results for some sorts of cards - it can be difficult to get it to route *round* an area or component, rather than *through* it. And for complex boards, you need to do a fair amount of work setting up your "do" file with commands to get routing to run as you want. But once that's done, run times are fast, and it's very easy to just rip it all up and redo your routing when you change the board, or re-arrange your components.

For a completely different type of autorouting, have a look at these two links (I haven't tried them myself yet).

David Brown

I use an old version of specctra. Before Cadence bought them out. Cadence has priced specctra so that only very big companies can afford it. The full router is in the order of US$100,000. I have used specctra with Tango PCB, Protel 98, Protel 99 and have tried it using the Altium evaluation version. Even the old version of specctra I have outperforms the latest router in Altium by a huge margin. One of the demo boards which they use to demonstrate the routing capabilities of Altium's auto router, routes in 8 layers using their router. This takes almost 2 hours on quite a fast PC. Specctra routes this board on

8 layers using the same design rules in less than 1 minute. It routes this same board on 2 layers in something like 8 minutes, still using the same set of design rules. The only other router I have seen that comes close to specctra's capabilities is the Electra router. This can be purchased at a reasonable cost. There is even a Linux version available. Can any of the open source packages use this router ? It uses exactely the same file format as specctra. AFAIK Pulsonix uses the Electra router.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Vutrax uses this too. (Not open source but there is a free 256 pin limited version). I don't know for sure if the free pin-limited version works with the autorouter, would have to try it.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I tried Eagle and the oddities of the UI were rather tricky to initially learn. Then I came back to it 6 months later and they were just as tricky to learn the second time! If you don't use a program very often, it is pointless to try to use such an odd bird as Eagle (so to speak). There are much better alternatives.

As to the scripting, I have thought scripting could be useful, but I have yet to find a real need for it. Your example can easily be done by using a simple spread sheet table to calculate the coordinates for the 16 LEDs and copying them to the parts. At least you can do this in FreePCB since it lets you directly enter the coordinates if you want.

That does give me an idea for a suggestion to the author of FreePCB. I don't know that a scripting capability is needed, but a hierarchical capability might be. That would let you combine say, four LEDs in an arc to be placed four times to form your circle. To be maximally useful, it should also include traces.

Reply to
rickman

Let me try this again, having some hiccups with my news server...

------------------------

[...]

Hi rickman,

With version 5.0 of EAGLE (due out soon) some of this is alleviated. You can now right click on an object and pick your function. It is a bit different from other UI's but to be fair, most tools are slightly different.

What do you consider "that odd"? I'd be interested to know.

There are lots of things you can do. I have tools (for sale, disclaimer) that auto create packages in EAGLE from a small list of IPC7351 parameters, import/export various netlist formats, and others to come. You can also emulate higher level functions that are available on more expensive tools. Or if you have something you need to do in a repeated way his can be useful too, faster and repeatable.

Hierarchy is the one big thing that I see EAGLE missing. I'll see what pull I have as a dealer to get this included in the next major version. They have already stated a desire to use XML file structure which is great for a lot of reasons. Of course, their revision cycle is about 2 years or more so don't hold your breathe :)

James.

--
James Morrison
www.eagletoolkit.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
James Morrison

Hello,

I'm not sure of the open source ones, but EAGLE can use Specctra. I haven't done it myself but I understand that it does work.

James.

--
James Morrison
www.eagletoolkit.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
James Morrison

also see:

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find a price for the TopoR topological autorouter, AuTOP automatic component placement, and FSCapture schematic editor, with no luck.

Does anyone know roughly how much these cost?

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Thanks, these look very interesting, especially the topor router. It looks like they took the same Protel Demo board that it's router does in 8 layers, and do it in 2 layers using topor, the same number of layers that specctra also manages. The any angle routing should allow it to route "funny" shaped boards which is a problem with specctra.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Let me try this again, it didn't get through the first few attempts....