Schematic/PCB Tools

The last time I used schematic capture and PCB layout packages was 1996, and back then it was PCAD for PCB and OrCAD for schematic. Since then I've been in an cushy environment where all that was just taken care of by some wonderful people.

Now, I've got to perform this function again. I'm told that "OrCAD is being de-emphasized" by Mentor, and what they think appropriate to replace it (and provide PCB functionality) is a *low end* tool for about $20K. PCAD is also clearly not the mainstream. So, I'm nowhere.

So, for independent consultants who have to work in this area, what're the most common tools? I need to deal with pqfp's, tqfp's, and bga's. These are beyond what we called "fine pitch" in 1996, if that distinction even still exists.

Any feedback would be very helpful!

Reply to
Ian McBride

Being on a tight budget, I aquired the "standard" license for Eagle

$400. Although it has some deficiencies, I can work quite well with it. One important advantage for me is the availability for WIN and Linux.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Hofmann

and

been

being

(and

also

I use Pulsonix:

Starts at about $1,000 for schematic capture and PCB design (500 pin limit). I've got the full version with the Bartels router and SPICE.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon_heller@hotmail.com

Hi Michael,

We use Eagle too, and I'm very happy with it. However, what is the smallest-pitch package you use? I have not had much luck with routing MBGA packages.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I also use Eagle, I recently laid out a board using a 0.8mm pitch BGA very successfully, it was the first time I had laid out a BGA. I manually routed most of the BGA pads out of the package, and then let the auto router run for the rest of the board.

About two years ago I needed a schematic/PCB package, I spent a few days searching the web and downloading evaluation versions of a whole bunch of packages. I installed each one, played with it for a few hours, and then moved onto the next. What a total waste of time, the only way one can really evaluate a package is to develop a moderately complex or complex project from schematic to PCB including creating library parts, a few hours using one of these a packages doesn't even scratch the surface. So I threw caution to the wind and decided to purchase Eagle. I decided on Eagle because it is reasonably priced, and runs on Linux as well as Windows.

I can definitely recommend Eagle, it is not perfect, but it does the job. There may be better packages out their, but for the price, and the OS independence, I don't think that you can go wrong with Eagle. Regards, Clive

========================================= Bundu Technology Ltd.

Custom hardware & software design and development. Windows, Palm, Linux & Embedded microcontrollers. ==========================================

Reply to
Clive Levinson

How does OrCAD compare with Eagle?

-Henk

Reply to
HENK VISSER

Thanks for the input.. I've gotten a lot of input here and also spoken with a number of board houses, many of which now take project files from various CAD vendors in addition to gerber data.

Does anyone have experience of Protel versus Eagle?

Reply to
Ian McBride