Using instruction counting on PSIM

Hello all. I am having some issues with the PSIM emulator within GDB. I have created a cross-compiler and successfully installed PSIM targeting a PowerPC. I want to be able to count the instructions on a given program run but the -I -i2 and -I commands are not outputting any information.

The command I use is

./psim -I hello_world

output

!!!Hello World!!!

and nothing else. Is there a compile time option I need to enable before this can be done? I thought it should output to the console but it does not. This is the one functionality of PSIM I need. Can anyone help?

Thank you

honkiejake