Multi-OS Testing

What is the best way to test a particular piece of software on different platforms? We manufacture a device which is accompanied by a small application to configure it. The application is built on the .NET framework so I am mainly concerned with MS operating systems.

Is it best to have a PC dedicated for each OS that I want to test? Or is it perfectly acceptable to use something like Virtual Box (keeping in mind that there are device drivers for this piece of hardware)?

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

eeboy

I'd test it the same way the customer would use it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We use the actual hardware when testing our .NET applications. You don't need a dedicated PC for each OS unless you are testing them simultaneously. We have XP, Vista and Windows 7 installed on different partitions of the same hard drive and use multiboot to choose which one to run.

-- Chris Burrows CFB Software Armaide: ARM Oberon-07 Development System

Chris Burrows

Or Norton Ghost with a clean image for each.

Reply to
Neil

If it is pure software, and is not reliant on hardware or particular speed requirements, then Virtual Box should be fine for this. Using snapshots with VB together with a bit of scripting you could automate a lot. It may not be /quite/ as realistic as testing on dedicated boxes, but it would be a great deal faster, easier and cheaper.

Reply to
David Brown