802.11x, PCMCIA (or USB) adapter with RSSI and external antenna

There are vast amunt of variety for 802.11 network adapter cards in the
market.

For an experiement I am searching for 802.11x (a,b,g) adapter card with
PCMCIA (or USB) interface.
This experiments will look at the RSSI (Rceive Signal Strength
Indication), channel capacity (throughput), as a function of  the range
between two communication nodes, antenna type, polarization etc.

(A) Do you know any off the shelf 802.11x network adapter card with the
following specs
       * Software drivers for MS - Windows, Linux and QNX operating
systems
       * PCMCIA (or USB) interface
       * RSSI (Rceive Signal Strength Indication)
       * External antenna connection
(B) If you have you done similar experiments would you like to share
your findings with us?

Regards

Miem Chan

miemchan at yahoo com au

Re: 802.11x, PCMCIA (or USB) adapter with RSSI and external antenna

Just a side note:
You talk about PCMCIA. You may want to look into 'Cardbus'.

PCMCIA, which now formally goes by the name of 'PCCard' supports
16 bits systems only.
The vast majority of notebook cards nowadays are of the Cardbus
type, which is the 32-bit version of 'PCMCIA'. (And it looks
almost the same :-)

Note also, that some older notebooks only support PCCard / PCMCIA
and not Cardbus.
All current notebooks support both types of cards.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Re: 802.11x, PCCard (or USB) adapter with RSSI and external antenna
Gerard,

Thank you for the correction.
Yes, you are absolutely right. As I use new types of notebook computer,
I should have said "PCCard" instead of "PCMCIA".

 (A) Do you know any off the shelf 802.11x network adapter card with
the following specs
       * Software drivers for MS - Windows, Linux and QNX operating
systems
       * PCCard (or USB) interface
       * RSSI (Rceive Signal Strength Indication)
       * External antenna connection
Regards,

Miem

Gerard Bok wrote