AVR + USB Memory stick

I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of the AVR Mega). I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with an ATMEL microcotroller?

Ray

Reply to
<Ray>

No. Use a CompactFlash card.

Reply to
larwe

Use a SD/MMC card ,much easier than compactflash

Just set the AVR for SPI , and connect the SD/MMC via a cpl of voltagedividers.

See

(LCD sign)

Carsten

Reply to
Carsten

This chip will do it - does all the FAT stuff from a simple serial interface., as well as allowing access to USB mice, keyboards, printers etc.

Mike Harrison

as well as allowing

"USBWiz".. it's a preprogrammed LPC2114 ARM chip used with an ISP1160?

There's something a bit sad about using a double-digit MHz 128K 32-bit processor to interface an 8-bit micro with a USB flash drive, but I bet that could be pretty useful in some circumstances.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

interface., as well as allowing

And for 40 pounds (60 USD), you can almost get a complete 32bit board with USB and many other stuffs.

Reply to
linnix

as well as allowing

At 40 British pounds not exactly cheap.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

skrev i meddelandet news:43b01341$0$25854$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

The advantage of the USB memory stick is that many people have one and they are easy to connect to just about any PC. The SD/MMC is easier to connect to the AVR but will require a memory reader on most PCs.

Check

There is someone which has a ready application for SD connection and sells the source code etc. for about $130 I think they use a mega128.

A part with external bus might be good if you want to use Compactflash.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Although the readers are so cheap that it may be viable to ship one with the product.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Have a look at this one for the AVR (It's free)

Maybe use BabelFish

Carsten

Reply to
Carsten