Two port implementation for a USB application consuming more than 2.5W

Hello,

I am currently working on a USB 2.0 bus powered application that I expect to consume more than 2.5W.

As such, I wish to use two USB ports to power the application in a similar manner to that used on some USB bus powered external hard drives.

Has anybody had any success in implementing such a scheme and remaining USB

2.0 compliant? In particular, I wish to "politely" request 500mA from the USB host for the second (power-only) port rather than assuming that 500mA will be automatically available.

Does anybody know of any circuit implementations available on the web that will implement the two port scheme - fully compliant or otherwise?

Any recommendations on how to do it?

Any advice on any gotchas, etc. to watch out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kieran

--
Kieran O' Leary
LUTsToDo.com - The website for busy FPGA designers

Ask port1 for 500 mA, and only then ask port2 for another 500mA. And report to the enduser what happends. Like led1 red->green, led2 red->green. If the device doesn't get it's way powerwise let it still be present. But leave powerhungry parts offline.

IF the potentials of the usb ports doesn't match. Not that I think any usb device does this.. However a user might plug the connectors to two different devices ;) (gotcha!)

Reply to
sky465nm
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

"Brendan Gillatt" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Hi Brendan,

This is a reasonable point. As it happens, any indicators that I will use will be software based.

Excuse my ignorance but do you know if people with colour blindness have difficulty distingushing colours (red/green) on computer monitors in the same way as with LEDs, etc.?

Thanks, Kieran

--
Kieran O' Leary
LUTsToDo.com - The website for busy FPGA designers
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kieran O' Leary

Hi,

Thanks ... I think that this is the avenue that I will go down alright although the idea of using a second USB peripheral IC just to enumerate correctly to get the 500mA doesn't seem very cost effective to me.

I may try to implement part of the second USB interface in some spare capacity I may have available on an FPGA.

A possible potential difference between the two 5V voltage sources is something that will require some thought alright but I have some ideas for this.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Kieran

--
Kieran O' Leary
LUTsToDo.com - The website for busy FPGA designers
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kieran O' Leary

... snip ...

There are all sorts of colour blindness'. I have one, and rarely notice it. Some weird text colour schemes, including green type on some sort of background, are very hard for me to see.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

... snip ...

Just ensure that you load the two supplies separately. I.e. don't parallel the two supplies. Since their output voltages will not be equal, the result would be that one supplied all the current.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Yes. Somebody who is red-green color-blind (the most common form of color-blindness) will have pretty much the same problems with a CRT and with LEDs.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Okay... I'm going
                                  at               home to write the "I HATE
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Red/green colour blindness most common and most often forgotten I once had a link to web page about various colour pairs that should be avoid for most things especially web pages to avoid these issues.

Another word of caution that everybody might like to remember in some application fields of which medical is one

ONLY use RED indicators to signify events like

- Danger (that does NOT mean power on) - Fault with the equipment - Patient EMERGENCY (e.g. heart stopped)

It seems a shame that the easiest and cheapest LED colour for manufacturers is the one you should use least.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter