TMS470R1A256 - Wiggler ARM-JTAG question

Hi,

I'm using an ARM-JTAG dongle interface (which uses parallel port, and is Macraigor Wiggler compatible) to program a TMS470R1A256 on a TMS470-P256 board (made by Olimex). I have been able to load the application to RAM and to flash, but when executed from flash, the applicaton runs 16 times slowlier. Using the debugging feature of the ARM-JTAG, I have stopped the execution in both cases, and compared several registers (the ones listed below), and all of them have identical values (both in RAM and flash execution).

GCR 0x00000008 PCR 0x00000001 SYSECR 0x00004007 CLKCNTL 0x00000010 MFBAHR2 0x00000020 MFBALR2 0x00000050 SMCR1 0x00000072 MFBAHR4 0x00000040 MFBALR4 0x00000010 WCR0 0x00000003 MFBAHR0 0x00000000 MFBALR0 0x00000190

I keep input "PLLDIS" always high.

Until I get a scope to delve into this, I was thinking that maybe some of you already know why this is happening.

Thank you,

Reply to
codic

I know nothing about this chip, but is the flash the same bus width as the RAM? Zero wait state in both cases?

Reply to
larwe

From the datasheet:

"The A256 memory includes general-purpose SRAM supporting single-cycle read/write accesses in byte, half-word, and word modes. The flash memory on this device is a nonvolatile, electrically erasable and programmable memory implemented with a 32-bit-wide data bus interface. In pipeline mode, the flash operates with a system clock frequency of up to 48 MHz. In normal mode, the flash operates with a system clock frequency of up to 24 MHz."

"In pipeline mode, two words are read in parallel from the flash core. Storing these two words in pipeline data buffers increases the bandwidth of the data coming out of the flash core, which provides effectively zero wait states on as many accesses as possible. In pipeline mode, the flash data is always latched into the pipeline buffer first, then read from the pipeline buffer to the CPU. Pipeline mode removes the flash memory access time from the critical timing path, which allows the clock frequency to be higher."

So it looks like in both cases the data bus is 32-bit wide. Regarding speed, the tests I run were at SYSCLK=12 MHz, and I don't think the wait states can cause a difference of 16x. It looks like some of the prescalers is not doing what it should be doing, according to the value I read from the control registers.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
codic